DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > Introductions > howdy from Independence, MO!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2007, 11:45 PM  
mstalanon

Default howdy from Independence, MO!

I'm a brand new home owner (YIKES) and learning the ways of the wide world. I'm 43, so it's an abrupt change.

Got a question... do most homes have an internal water shut off for the house, OTHER than the one from the street the utility guys use? Here's why I'm asking... The washer connections are crappy, and I want to replace them... but in tracing the hoses that go to the sucker, there's no shut off to those in the walls...

can someone give me some advice? I'd really rather do this myself if it's easy enough.

danke'!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2007, 10:25 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

There is quite often a main shut off under the house if you have a crawl space or basement but not always. Open the lid to your meter box and you should see a shut off there.
Owning a new home can be a little overwhelming but you have come to the right place for help so "Welcome" and ask away anytime.

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Old 09-02-2007, 10:58 PM  
mstalanon

well, it's a converted basement/garage into the family room... the water heater & furnace are in a closet now... so short of ripping all the walls off, the ceiling, etc, I have NO idea if there's a main shut off in the house. I DO know that the house flooded before I bought it a few years ago, and the city had to do an emergency shut off at the street connection!

So I don't think it has one!

Old 09-03-2007, 09:24 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It would most likely be in that closet before the hot water tank but if not check the water shut off at the street to see what you need to shut it off yourself. I happen to think every home owner without a main shut off at there house should have the ability to shut the water off at the street in case of emergencies.

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Quick Reply