DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > Introductions > I have a question!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 02:09 AM  
hopelesslyinept
ISO competence

Default I have a question!!

No, I'm only kidding. I figured I'd get the hearts of the 'regs' racing with the thought of another dumb newbie posting a question where it clearly advises against doing so!

Hi all, I'm a NEWB! I am a long-time forum-goer but it just tonight even dawned on me to find a forum for home repairs as I am faced with the *loverly* task of repairing a house before I can move in.

As my user ID suggests, I have absolutely NO idea what I'm doing. I am going to *try* to hire as much of the work done as possible however limited funds = me doing more of the work than I know how to do. As a result, here I am!

I have a small one bedroom house that was built in the, 40s, 50s, 60s perhaps? There was no indoor bathroom built in the house so at some point they came in and added one in the single bedroom. The problem with that bathroom was that it was probably 3' wide and maybe, if I was lucky, 5' long. Not a problem if you're a fairy. Big problem if you're an amazon. Not only that, the genius who installed the bathroom light ran the wire along the drywall rather than doing it right.

Anywhooooo...the house, while in town which is not ideal, is a deal I cannot pass up. Therefore, I repair. Oh wait, I don't repair BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW HOW!!!!!

So you see my quandary.

Soooooo......Can someone point me in the direction of cheap manual labor who can do a impeccable job and complete said job without second-guessing me or trying to coerce me into doing something that I don't want to do or have done and will finish the repairs yesterday with a smile on his face? Oh, it wouldn't hurt if he looks like and share's the quick wit of Mike Rowe.

(Sorry, I apologize for being a SA already, but it's late and I'm goofy.)

Ħ°Ƥę£ë§§Ļ¥ ¡ÑƐƤƮ

Un-DIY-er extraordinaire

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008, 05:43 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 122 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 300

Default There is plenty

No problem, i'm one of those racin heart guys who wants to help.
Cheap labor you already have...it's called DIY. And if that's not possible you need to head to the local coffe shop and find the folks who do this for a livin.
Being an inspector, the first thing I will tell you is to spend $300 and get a home inspection on this "new" house of yours.
This will give you alot of info and directions to take. Then come on back with plenty of questions, we have plenty of different answers.
There are lots of folks here with lots of experience waitin to help out.
Check www.ashi.com for a professional inspector.

Just My
Made in the

Old 04-30-2008, 07:38 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome Hopless:
When you hit a spot where you simply can't continue, your local Home Builder's Association can give you a lot of help on qualified contractors.
Glenn

Old 05-01-2008, 09:56 AM  
fred333

Is there a website or a place where I can find the phone number or website for the one in colorado?

Old 05-01-2008, 08:02 PM  
Big Al

I think the inspection idea is sound.

Make a plan. Safety first.

Remember, a man has got to know his limitations. You make money doing what you do. Figure out how to make more.

Contractors are tough. See my contractors page.

You'll be fine.

A house built 50,60,70 years ago is probably sound.

Quick Reply