DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > Introductions > KO'd with Plumbing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2007, 01:29 PM  
kathyoglesby

Default KO'd with Plumbing

Hi. New Member. Female homeowner with minimal plumbing experience. Would love to replace single basin vanity top with double basin vanity top.

There's enough room in existing countertop to accomodate. How easy or complicated will the plumbing work be. Is there a "splitter" available for the water supply hoses and drain pipes where I can tie in connections from the original hoses/pipes. Do not want to go inside the wall connections.I believe that will make the project more complicated than I want.

If I can handle this then I may think about replacing existing bathtub with a whirlpool tub. Something to relax in after a hard day's work.

Would appreciate any advice or suggestions. Really motivated to get this done.

Last edited by kathyoglesby; 09-30-2007 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Needed more characters to submit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2007, 07:46 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome KathyOglesby:
Yes, you can branch off the existing supply lines by using a 'dishwasher' valve (we call it a 'stop') and it has two outlets stopped by one handle.
The plumbing drain can connect to the present drain pipes by using a 'continuous' waste. The new sink should come into the drain before the water goes through the P-trap. If you are using PVC (white) plastic drains you simply need to add a directional tee for the new sink to drain into. The directional tee has its branch entering the tee in a slight little curve which will drop the water into the P-trap rather than having it hit the backside of the tee and splashing. You can see a good example of the continuous waste under your kitchen sink.
You will find that cutting the hole to put the other sink in the top will be the harder job; but I'm betting you can do it.
Glenn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply