DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > Introductions > 'nother newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 05:56 PM  
GBR

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default 'nother newbie

Hi, My name is Gary. I live in WA State, in a 1910 craftsman 1-1/2 story bungalow, which I'm still working on since 1976! Added a 3/4 bath, and 3 bedrooms on top, back in '89. Carpenter apprentice in 1973, building houses (framing) in 1975 alone. Had a framing business for 9 years till 2003, when my company insurance went sky-high. Remodel carpenter for the last 6 years, and a new general contractor company this year, such timing!

I noticed all contributors are civil and polite here, which is hard to find anymore. Keep up the good job! I hope to help contribute with my 36 years experience in the field, and secret tips I've learned over the years. Be safe, GBR

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2009, 10:18 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome Gary:
Its good to have a seasoned builder to paricipate with us. We are happy to have you!
When you sign on, I find it convenient to go to 'New Posts' and try to help out where-ever I can.
Is your goal as a General Contractor to continue remodeling or are you looking at all new construction? I would strongly recommend staying with the remodeling for a few good reasons. #1 You don't have anyone to bid against, you can get your price (within reason). #2 Remodels move much quicker, you can get done and get going (with money in hand). #3 You can turn over more jobs in a year and should come out with a higher gross income than a 'builder' could. #4 Building is slowed to a snail's pace now but remodeling goes on; folks would rather fix up than to start over.
Glenn

Old 03-21-2009, 05:38 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 123 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 301

Default Welcome

I also agree with Glenn. I have been in the remodel field for about 15 years now. Before that was new construction framing and exterior stuff.
After the remodeling I started the Home Inspection Business and training company, and have done well.
The better job experiences I would pass on to folks still workin the hammer has been remodels.
Then the training. More free time and money. And I still maintain all my building contacts to look at things when they go wrong, plenty of work there.
I always like to do what is fun for a living, and love new stories, we are glad to have another professional aboard.

Just My
Made in the

Quick Reply