DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > Introductions > painting tiles in shower

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2006, 07:44 AM  
Luigi

Default painting tiles in shower

I purchased a condo in SW Fla last year and have spent countless hours updating it. I still have several projects in mind and I'm so glad to have found this website to help me - I'm pretty much a DIY novice. I visited a neighbor yesterday who showed me her shower where she had painted the tiles. She said she did this about a year ago, the shower is used every day, and it looks GREAT! She said she went over the existing tiles with "mirac acid"? - then an oil-based primer and oil-based paint. I'm thinking about trying it & would greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice. Thanks!
Luigi

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2006, 06:18 AM  
asbestos
Good with caulk

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am guessing she was meaning muriatic acid or Hydrochloric acid (HCl) this would sure clean the tiles, but so would other less hazardous products. Using HCl in a area like a bathroom sounds like trouble waiting to happen. I would not want to do this.http://jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/h3886.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrochloric_acid

The idea is to remove all traces of soap scum and mineral deposits. it the tiles are glossy they should best be sanded (try 3M wet or dry sanding sheets) use them wet and go with about a 100 grit perhaps. Don't use an electric sander when wet sanding.

There are primers designed to bond to glossy surfaces use one of these followed by a topcoat of a compatible oil or waterbase finish.
You might also look into 2 part epoxy paints. there are some used to refinish tubs that might work well. These are a bit more trouble to use, but they could well give the best results.
As with any painting job 3 words
Preperation, preperation, preperation.

Last edited by asbestos; 08-13-2006 at 06:29 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply