DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > 1-800 GOT JUNK is a rip off

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2007, 03:21 PM  
Oilcan

Default 1-800 GOT JUNK is a rip off

I had about 2 or 3 trucks full of junk. (Ford Ranger) I booked on online appointment with 1 800 got junk. I normally just take it to the dump myself but I was busy and in a hurry.

They showed up ontime. Nice clean truck. One clean cut guy and one hippie sorta guy with a Indian choker thing.

They quoted me a price of 500 bucks.

500 bucks!!!!!!!

I told them I'd spot them lunch for coming out but that was "way too f**** much."

Then it got sorta ugly. The next thing I know Im haggling with the hippie over how much I could afford to pay. They agreed to take it all for 300 bucks. Still a rip off but I couldn't spend the whole day going back and forth to the dump.

They took the big stuff and I signed the invoice and they took off. Then I realized they left a whole bunch of s***. ( I couldnt see behind the truck) And didn't even think about sweeping up.

I complained of course but basically they said they would give me a discount on the next pickup. After I dinked around on the internet I found other people have had troubles too.

Avoid them.

oc

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2007, 04:28 PM  
cranbrook2
Extreme birdhouse builder

Likes Given: 1

Whats that old saying ? If you want something done right DO it yourself.

John in Belgrave
[url]www.extremebirdhouse.com[/url]

Old 10-11-2007, 08:37 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hey Oil Can:
Most junkers would have been thrilled at you givingthe junk which, of course, they can take to a recycler and sell it for a good price.
I passed a recycle place today that is offering $130 per ton for sheet metal, cars and such.
Glenn

Old 10-12-2007, 09:33 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Theres been a few of my Clients who have used them and Yes they were a little high ( not way out of the ball park) and they were good fast and polite so as you know theres going to be good ones and bad.

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Old 10-12-2007, 02:09 PM  
Oilcan

Default thanks vm

Thanks for the comments. ripoffreport.com looks pretty good but their search engine stalled my computer somehow. I'll checkem out later.

Yeah, had the guys actually finished the job I wouldn't have been so upset. I could see how the company could help some people but it's an awful lot to pay for clean cut jerks in this case.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:05 PM  
Barry M

I've never used them but I did see the owner and founder of 1 800 Got Junk on "What's the Big Idea" the other night. His story of how he and a friend started the company is quite inspiring. You've got to hand it to them from a business stand point to be doing millions in sales a year hauling junk is pretty cool.

Sorry you got ripped off though.

Providing [URL="http://www.midwestprowash.com"]Power Wash[/URL] Services like Deck Cleaning, Roof Cleaning, and Other [URL="http://www.midwestprowash.com/power_washing_contractor.html"]Pressure Wash[/URL] Services

Old 10-13-2007, 02:17 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey OilCan:
I got it all wrong before; when you said junk I pictured metals. Now I see you were talking about construction litter and scraps. In that case I always had a dumpster placed on the job and, when it got full I would call the guy and have him to dump it and bring it back. Often I only had one load so they could pick it up when the job was finished. Dumpsters come in all sizes, from 3 cubic yards to 40 cy. The 20, 30 and 40cy sizes are like a big turck bed with doors on one end. Place it close to the house but clear of the work and you can load it from the back with a wheelbarow or throw trash from the roof and second story windows into the top of it.
They charge you for the size of dumpster delivered but they will warn you not to fill it to the top with bricks, shingles or anything that will make it overweight.
Maybe you can try that on your next job. Happy trails.
Glenn

Old 10-15-2007, 11:29 AM  
Oilcan

thx glenn,

Yes, I've already used something like that (they called it a lowboy) since my little episode.

I would have ordered one ahead of time but it was one of those jobs that snuck up on me. First I was going to cut some brush back on the house then it was some old siding, beat up couch, attic load etc...lol

Barry,

You know, after I thought about it a while and had a chance to cool off I'm glad a company like 1800gotjunk exists. I had read some of their history and I guess if I "drew" the right employees it would have worked out okay.

The rub is that the guys that come out are so squeaky clean you don't get the feeling they want to work at all. This crew didn't and I suspect they may have a built in problem hiring people. How do you find clean people that want to load garbage?

Old 10-15-2007, 03:33 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It is possible my friend. I used to work construction and stay moderately clean. At least, when I went in to work I was clean and clean-shaven. I carried my load of the work and more while still managing to stay fairly clean. I served as an officer in the National Guard and was constantly aware of my bearing.
Glenn

Old 08-03-2011, 08:07 PM  
WeHeartJunk

I have a local junk removal company that competes with 1800 got junk. Since they have the national brand recognition they get away with charging a bit more than the rest of us, but overall its not out of control pricing. If you price what you're getting hauled away by volume, a full junk removal truck ends up being cheaper than a dumpster a lot of the time.

You can always haul stuff to the dump yourself, but if you have a lot you end up wasting a whole day with trips back and forth to the dump, loading and unloading, nails in tires at the dump, gas etc. For a lot of people a Junk removal service is a pretty fair and convenient option.

Last edited by WeHeartJunk; 08-03-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: rewording

Quick Reply