DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > 1-800 GOT JUNK is a rip off

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 09:16 PM  
WeHeartJunk

But nothing against the grip you had, people don't often budget for junk removal costs, and sometimes the estimate comes as an unpleasant surprise.

[URL="http://www.weheartjunk.com"]www.weheartjunk.com[/URL]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011, 08:57 AM  
Modutile
Made in the USA

Could not agree more. They are a ripoff. I already started seeing some competitors in Houston at lower prices. The company i saw was It's Junk

ModuTile - Basement Flooring Options and Garage Flooring Made in USA

Old 08-15-2011, 11:08 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 837 Times on 748 Posts
Likes Given: 1453

1 You can rent a truck and haul the junk yourself.
2 Find someone out of work that owns a truck to do it for you.
3 Have a dumbster bin dropped off and picked up.
4 Find local small guy that advertises in yellow pages or newspapers
5 Or you can wait until the very last minute and call the the one number you know because you see it everywhere. Then you have paid for the right to bitch about it!

Old 08-25-2011, 08:26 PM  
ownersblues

It doesn't surprise me. I called them once and got a high quote. It's true not all stuff is junk and in some cases they probably make a good profit but as the first reply said, I really think it is best to do yourself if you can.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:55 PM  
SnellExperts

Thank you for the heads up on this. I don't often have a lot of junk to haul off, but I know now to steer away from these guys!

[URL=http://www.snellexperts.com]Mold Inspection[/URL]
[URL=http://www.executiverestoration.com]Mold Inspection Charlotte NC[/URL]

Old 09-02-2011, 07:37 PM  
ownersblues

I might add I saw a commercial a few hours ago about pop up garbage bins you buy at your local Lowes or Home Depot type store then call a number to get a pickup. Now I'm not sure how it works past that, but if its just garbage, it might be something to look into.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:19 PM  
brad222

Thanks for the tip about the rip off! I'll be sure to not keep them in mind. I've always found that going to the dump myself is well worth it. In my city, they actually will pay ME by the pound for certain materials!
Atlanta Fence Company | Atlanta Fence Contractor | Atlanta Fences

Old 09-27-2011, 11:58 AM  
SnellExperts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad222 View Post
Thanks for the tip about the rip off! I'll be sure to not keep them in mind. I've always found that going to the dump myself is well worth it. In my city, they actually will pay ME by the pound for certain materials!
Atlanta Fence Company | Atlanta Fence Contractor | Atlanta Fences
When I used to do siding, we used to make a little bit extra by taking our excess aluminum from facia and gutters that were ripped off. If your area has one of those places, its usually worth the trip to get a couple hundred dollars extra (depending on the material).

[URL=http://www.snellexperts.com]Mold Inspection[/URL]
[URL=http://www.executiverestoration.com]Mold Inspection Charlotte NC[/URL]

Old 07-28-2012, 04:38 PM  
JunkDawgs

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilcan View Post
I had about 2 or 3 trucks full of junk. (Ford Ranger) I booked on online appointment with 1 800 got junk. I normally just take it to the dump myself but I was busy and in a hurry.

They showed up ontime. Nice clean truck. One clean cut guy and one hippie sorta guy with a Indian choker thing.

They quoted me a price of 500 bucks.

500 bucks!!!!!!!

I told them I'd spot them lunch for coming out but that was "way too f**** much."

Then it got sorta ugly. The next thing I know Im haggling with the hippie over how much I could afford to pay. They agreed to take it all for 300 bucks. Still a rip off but I couldn't spend the whole day going back and forth to the dump.

They took the big stuff and I signed the invoice and they took off. Then I realized they left a whole bunch of s***. ( I couldnt see behind the truck) And didn't even think about sweeping up.

I complained of course but basically they said they would give me a discount on the next pickup. After I dinked around on the internet I found other people have had troubles too.

Avoid them.

oc
Definitely not trying to validate what sounds like the poor customer service you received, but the cost of junk removal jobs are based on more than just dump fees. Customers want uniformed employees and legitimate businesses but they often forget that those things come with overhead. For a reputable company, that service provider has to pay a competitive hourly wage for quality employees, pays for uniforms, has to pay for insurance on the trucks, $1 million liability insurance in case something goes wrong at your property and is legally obligated to have workman's comp insurance as well. All of those are expensive. Next, factor in the cost of fuel for one of these dump trucks while also adding in disposal costs... It gets pricey and while some jobs can be quick and easy, a lot of them are hard work so more often than not, the prices are pretty reasonable.

That being said, Got Junk is a corporate giant in the junk removal biz so you may be better off going with a local operation that can still provide that professional level of service.

[URL="http://www.junkdawgs.com"]Junk Hauling Indianapolis[/URL] [URL="http://www.junkdawgs.com"]Junk Removal Indianapolis[/URL]

Old 07-29-2012, 06:52 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Your right on the button JunkDawgs, I have been self employed over 25years and the amount of time, $$, spent is incredible and for those who are not it's hard to imagine. Remember we always pay for convenience and that's a fact.

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Quick Reply