DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > 1st time buyer

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 09:40 PM  
killian

Default 1st time buyer

Well I'm looking to buy my 1st home and I'm a little freaked out. I'm afraid I'm going to end up with some house requiring way more work than I'm capable of doing (I'm not exactly mechanically inclined). With that being said, I have some questions.

How do I know what shape the septic system is in?

The realtor said the house is block built with vinyl siding out doors and framing inside would this type of building tend to be well insulated and fuel efficient?

Any idea of a ballpark cost for lead paint testing?

Any help is appreciated

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010, 06:07 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Default well

Once you find something you like..get a home inspection.
Go to American Society of Home Inspectors, ASHI to help you find an Inspector in your area. This is a professional ,3rd party recognized organization. The only one in the country.

Good luck, and stop back when you need questions on how to fix something.

Just My
Made in the

Old 03-02-2010, 08:02 AM  
Cork-Guy
Cork Flooring Pros

I'd agree with the above post; and in some state counties they have free inspection services, or even required inspection services before a home can be sold.

[B][URL="http://www.corkflooringpros.com"]Cork Flooring[/URL][/B] - [B][URL="http://www.ventless-fireplace.org"]Ventless Fireplace[/URL][/B]

Old 03-02-2010, 09:50 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

From my own experience, get an inspector independently of your realtor.
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=define:+kickback&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8What I know and what I can prove are two different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killian View Post
would this type of building tend to be well insulated and fuel efficient?
Get past fuel bills for this house, then look up Heating Degree Days for it's location,
Heating & Cooling Degree Days - Free Worldwide Data Calculation
then get the square footage for the place.

"In US units, one standard cubic foot of natural gas produces around 1028 British Thermal Units (BTU). "

1.4 BTU/[sq.ft.-HDD] is a tight house, 6 is average, 11 is the loosest house for which I got a sample.

For a 2000 ft² house and 750 HDD in December, 80 Therms for that month and an 83% efficient furnace, it comes in at [80*100,000*0.83]/[2000*750] = 4.4 BTU/[sq.ft.-HDD].

Knowing the Outside Design Temperature for the area, the gas usage and the furnace input BTU/hr, you can also determine if the furnace is oversized, which makes for inefficient operation.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 03-02-2010 at 10:32 AM.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:40 AM  
killian

When I talked to the bank they said they require a home inspection so I will have that done.

As for prior utilities, the current owner lives in florida during the winter so I dont think that I will be able to get an idea from their records.

this place has two furnaces, it once was a duplex.

Thanks for the input, I know this forum is for repairs and I appreciate your time.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:51 AM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

We cover all forms of house ownership. Let us know what they say.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:42 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
As for prior utilities, the current owner lives in florida during the winter so I dont think that I will be able to get an idea from their records.
Maybe the utility company can help with the data. A leaky house will nickel and dime you forever.
Foundation repairs also seem costly so that should be checked.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:45 PM  
frozenstar

I agree that you need to accompany a professional inspector in terms of checking these kind of stuff.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:14 AM  
killian

So I dont think the 1st house is going to work out. Now I'm looking at putting in a purchase offer on another place.

I think I have found the right house, but I dont think I have much room to negotiate. The seller is asking 124, I'm thinking of offering 115-116. someone already has a Contingency Offer in so I dont think I can offer less.

One of the things I think I want to do to this place is add a vent less natural gas heater of some kind. this place has electric heat and I thinking this heater will save some cash. The current owner had the gas run into the laundry room and I could probably run it right through the wall into the next room.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:08 AM  
Con65

Quote:
So I dont think the 1st house is going to work out. Now I'm looking at putting in a purchase offer on another place.

I think I have found the right house, but I dont think I have much room to negotiate. The seller is asking 124, I'm thinking of offering 115-116. someone already has a Contingency Offer in so I dont think I can offer less.

One of the things I think I want to do to this place is add a vent less natural gas heater of some kind. this place has electric heat and I thinking this heater will save some cash. The current owner had the gas run into the laundry room and I could probably run it right through the wall into the next room.
You can always offer less.

If the contingency is that the other party has to sell their house, the seller might accept just to get the sales over with. I suggest you go in low but high enough to get a counter offer. I would start at 100 or lower since you seem to be able to find a supply of acceptable houses to purchase.

As to the gas, that is not a DIY project. You are correct in that once there is gas at the house, it can be used for heating, but get the advice of a professional as to how and where.

Last edited by Con65; 03-08-2010 at 05:10 AM.

Quick Reply