DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > 1st time buyer

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 10:30 PM  
killian

well I under a lot of pressure to buy and there are not a lot in my area and in my price range. The guy said he probably wont consider less than the contingency offer which he said was 123

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 08:53 AM  
TheClumsyCarpenter

Congrats on looking to purchase your first home! It is a big deal, and can get overwhelming if you let it.

I don't want to be too personal, but is there a reason you are under pressure to make a purchase? Since this is something you will probably be in for a while, make sure it's something you want and are happy with. I obviously have no clue about your situation, but I'm assuming this is where you are going to be every day for some time to come.

I also agree that you definitely want to have a home inspection done. Many things will need to be fixed on the previous owner's dime before you purchase. There is no reason to get into a house and have to pay to fix things that the previous owner did incorrectly.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:44 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

The home inspectors are looking for things that may come back and bite them, things that they may get sued over, likely relating to the later personal safety of the buyer. But they don't want to kill the deal.

Drainage problems costing thousands to fix is probably not on his/her list.

Septic tanks affect the health of the buyer so this may be flagged, but the burden of proof for the cause of the buyer's health problems may be on the buyer.

Roofs & foundations? Dunno'.

My inspector left me a list of questions to ask the seller before buying, stuff like "Has the central air and heating ever not been able to maintain temps between limit X and limit Y?".
My realtor was outraged and asked where I got these questions. I told her it was from the same home inspector that she recommended.
I still have those pages of questions somewhere.

The worst home buyer ever would be a person who is a structural engineer, plumber, electrician, carpenter, HVAC tech and attorney.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 03-11-2010 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply