DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > adding a mud room in the existing garage

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2010, 07:06 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If your going to use hangers against the skirt board here is a little trick to get the floors to match right on. Cut a piece of your new joist and attach a hanger to it then place it up against the rim joist on one side so the top of the new joist matches up with the old one and mark the bottom of the hanger and then do the otner end, now snap a chalk line, then attach with a few screws a 1x4 to the chalk line ( cover the chalk line) . Now all you do is place the hanger on the 1x4 and attach it and you have a perfect line up.
Another way to do this is same idea but just use a cut off of new joist and line it up with the top edge level with the rim joist and make a mark then do the otherside, snap a line, srew a 1x4 and then place your joist in place on top of the 1x4 edge and toenail the top of the new joist and then after they are all in place remove the 1x4 and put all the joist hangers on.

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Last edited by Daryl in Nanoose; 05-01-2010 at 07:28 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2010, 05:24 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 82 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Default huh

Huh..wha??? daryll...is that you????

Good advice , as usual. BACK

Just My
Made in the

Old 05-01-2010, 07:34 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hey Inspector, thanks and yah back again I's been a real rollercoaster ride around here for the past 2 years . Nice to be back now let's see what kinda trouble I can get into

Old 06-08-2010, 02:33 AM  
marley2984

Hey all. I stumbled across this thread because I'm trying to gather information for the same thing. Home access from the house is through 2 steps from the garage floor and we enter into a small laundry room. An option when the home was built called for a mud room which would have been extended into the garage and would have relocated the W&D to the other side. I'm trying to figure if this is something my wife and I can do as a DIY project and employ a plumber and electrician as necessary. I attached 2 pictures of the house plans when we purchased the home and you will see it was an option in the same spot. has anyone completed this and can offer any help or pictures.. guidance maybe? Possibly one of you are in VA also

Old 06-10-2010, 08:13 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The biggest thing here is do you have any framing experience?
You will need to expose the wall under the door to see whats what,
How is the dryer vented, the longer the run the worst it is and stay away from 2 many 90's because this just kills air flow.
The best thing for you to do is just ask questions before you start, gather all the info you need and fly at er

Old 06-15-2010, 08:36 AM  
chrishallowell

I'm looking at extending my existing mudroom into the garage.

1st question: How would I brace underneath the new door? (The old door has cinder blocks under it.) Also what does the new door rest on?

2nd question: Any ideas on how to get the water pipes/drain from the garage back into the basement? I'm assuming it has to flow downhill and there is a 12" cinder block wall in the way.

Plan:
Attach a ledger(2x8) to the wall studs on near and far walls (9ft span)
2x4 wall studs <---washer & lag bolt---Ledger<----Joist hanger---Joist
Any comments/concerns with this?

Thanks for any help/guidance/suggestions!

Old 06-22-2010, 06:59 AM  
chrishallowell

Ok, for bracing under the door I'm thinking of a 2x4 running horizontal and resting on the jack studs. And then have a 2x4 running vertically 16" OC on the bottom, like the top.

I'm guessing the door can just sit on this 2x4 running horizontal.

For the pipes, I'm guessing I can use a hammer drill to drill holes in the cinder block for the pipes. I haven't been able to find a "safe" maximum hole size though. The cinder blocks are supporting a load bearing wall. I need 2 holes for the water pipes, 1 hole for the DWV, 1 hole for the heating vent. I'm assuming if I space these out over several blocks I should be ok but I could really use some advice.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:10 AM  
marley2984

has there been any advances on anyones projects for adding a mud room ?? If so can you post some pictures. We havent done anything yet on ours and now I think are just looking at leaving the W&D at alone and just make the extension (see pictures I attached in previous posting). We'll use that extension for coats/jackets shoes etc. Since we wont have to reroute water/gas lines etc for the W&D we were thinking it might be more of a DIY project. There is an existing AC vent located near the existing door anyway so we would just need to extend electrical.

I know you would have to tie into the rim joist with hangers and it wouldnt be that high we were going up to match current floor height but is it something where treated posts would be sitting on a preformed concrete form in the front to get the wood off the garage floor. I gotta think the framing part is elementary in theory... just need to figure out the theory.

Quick Reply