DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Another mold thread...




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 01:46 PM  
OmaJohn
Tear It Outter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 6
Default Another mold thread...

Hi, guys.

I've got a little ranch house I'm cleaning up from 'disaster' status to 'decent rental property' status (or better). The issue I'm looking for a little help on is dealing with some mold/asbestos issues.

The guy working on the house before me pulled the plumbing under the kitchen sink apart without checking it carefully and left it for a month. When the house was next visited, it had dripped a large amount of water through the bottom of the cabinet, the basement asbestos tile ceiling, the ceiling tiles installed below that, and onto the painted floor of a storage room below -- which then ran along the floor to an area with brand new carpet about 15 feet away and saturated the area.

I went in, cleaned up all the water, and told the home owner that we need to tear out the ceiling in the basement, replace the kitchen cabinets, and once I can see better, likely do some serious cleanup in the whole area for any mold.

As of yet, we've been unable to reach the guy working on it previously. I am skeptical as to the likelihood of his insurance covering the cost of repair, and expect I'll be the one to do it.

My question is this: I have done a lot of working on houses, and I have allergies and asthma. Often I have no trouble, or nothing but a stuffy nose. This house causes my sinuses to shut down completely if I'm in it for any period of time longer than maybe half an hour. I suspect because of the mold. Do you guys have links/clear suggestions on some paper masks, goggles, etc that I can wear while tearing this nightmare apart to keep myself reasonably well protected? All of the stuff at the hardware store says things like, "Only for light dust, not for serious work." (Yeah, I rephrased that).

Any help would be sincerely appreciated.



__________________
OmaJohn is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 05:37 PM  
nealtw
Contractor
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: vancouver, b.c.
Posts: 9,685
Liked 789 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 1349

Default

What to Wear | A Brief Guide to Mold | US Environmental Protection Agency


__________________
nealtw is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 11:33 AM  
Perry525
Senior Member
 
Perry525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lake Wales, Fl.
Posts: 107
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default

If your timing is right, the problem is unlikely to be mold caused by the leak, not enough time for it to form and as mold doesn't form below 40f unlikely at this time of year especially as the house was empty.

__________________
Perry525 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2012, 12:32 PM  
SnellExperts
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 138
Default

Make sure to get a hazmat suit as well. The mold spores can seep in through your skin, so any direct contact could cause a reaction.

__________________

[URL=http://www.snellexperts.com]Mold Inspection[/URL]
[URL=http://www.executiverestoration.com]Mold Inspection Charlotte NC[/URL]

SnellExperts is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 11:42 AM  
OmaJohn
Tear It Outter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry525 View Post
If your timing is right, the problem is unlikely to be mold caused by the leak, not enough time for it to form and as mold doesn't form below 40f unlikely at this time of year especially as the house was empty.
The house was definitely well above 40 degrees, however. I will try to remember to take some pictures once I get ceiling tiles pulled down -- maybe it wont be as bad as I'm imagining.

Fingers crossed.
__________________
OmaJohn is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 11:43 AM  
OmaJohn
Tear It Outter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 6
Default

Excellent info. Thanks, Neal!


__________________
OmaJohn is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Post a Quote Thread.. :) kaytav General Chit-Chat 30 03-30-2012 03:01 AM
Kitchen Photo Thread dukefan General Home Improvement Discussion 15 11-17-2009 08:23 AM
Another Dishwasher thread bcurrey General Appliance Discussion 1 06-25-2009 07:19 AM
Introduction Thread TxBuilder Introductions 6 09-04-2008 04:44 PM
Thread sealer Mudball Plumbing Forum 5 07-24-2006 05:58 PM