DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > antenna mounting

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2014, 10:39 AM  
tractng

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default antenna mounting

Hello,

Just moved into a house near the mountain. Indoor antenna doesn't work well.

I noticed a satellite dish was installed near the power line (about 2 feet where power line is fed into the house). I am thinking of removing the dish and install the antenna there using the existing pole. Either slip the antenna pole into the current one if it fits or just using stainless steel ring.

Any issue of it being near the power line if one day my antenna falls near the power line. I am just being paranoid but don't really want to drill any additional holes on roof.

TT

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2014, 12:37 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Try it first without mounting it.

A satellite dish is a directional antenna that has a line of sight to the signal source which is a geosynchronous satellite.

If your new antenna isn't like this and is omnidirectional it may not work any better. You may instead need a very tall tower or a booster amplifier.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 08-15-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:20 PM  
tractng

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzzat? View Post
Try it first without mounting it.

A satellite dish is a directional antenna that has a line of sight to the signal source which is a geosynchronous satellite.

If your new antenna isn't like this and is omnidirectional it may not work any better. You may instead need a very tall tower or a booster amplifier.
I don't want to pay for the service. The satellite is from Dish Network. I just want to use its mounting pole. The antenna I bought doesn't work to well indoor. I will need to install outside.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:51 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 791 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 1354

I would call your hydro supplier, it will be their rules that count.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:51 PM  
beachguy005

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts

I'm sure that the mounting instructions that came with your antenna say not to install near power lines. Depending on your antenna size you may find it better to mount in your attic, if you have one.
You should check some information on antennas, reception and towers for your location here....

http://www.antennaweb.org/

Old 08-16-2014, 11:12 AM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 139 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 174

Often, power lines can cause RF interference with a TV signal. Probably best to move it away from there - and if you include the danger of contact with the power lines, a new mounting bracket is no big deal.
As you probably already know, height will be helpful for reception in the mountains; any neighbors to ask for local advice?

When you talk about drilling into your roof, are you just talking about a mounting bracket - or are you drilling through the roof to run wires???

Old 08-16-2014, 01:26 PM  
Speedbump
Water well etc.

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Being a Ham Radio operator, I have installed many antenna's of all shapes and sizes including TV antennas. It's too bad Radio Shack has gotten out of the Radio business. They used to have lots of antenna paraphernalia.

I would suggest staying as far away from any power lines as humanly possible. The risk isn't worth the savings. You can stand a piece of galvanized pipe up against your fascia and fasten it with a pipe clamp then mount the antenna on that. Stick it in the ground 6" or so and it ain't going anywhere.

Be aware that antennas have better gain than others. The more db gain, the greater the signal received. With a good Wiengard antenna and an antenna amplilfier you can pull signals in from far away

Old 08-16-2014, 02:22 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Power line frequencies are far removed from TV freqs but there is a patented cable with special shielding that combines power & signal lines. But those lines run in parallel over a distance so the coupling between them is stronger.

I'd be more worried about safety than interference but the safety issue can be handled with fuses and surge protectors.

If you have one favorite station/signal source then I'd aim my directional antenna that way.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 08-16-2014 at 02:25 PM.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:12 AM  
tractng

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbump View Post
Being a Ham Radio operator, I have installed many antenna's of all shapes and sizes including TV antennas. It's too bad Radio Shack has gotten out of the Radio business. They used to have lots of antenna paraphernalia.

I would suggest staying as far away from any power lines as humanly possible. The risk isn't worth the savings. You can stand a piece of galvanized pipe up against your fascia and fasten it with a pipe clamp then mount the antenna on that. Stick it in the ground 6" or so and it ain't going anywhere.

Be aware that antennas have better gain than others. The more db gain, the greater the signal received. With a good Wiengard antenna and an antenna amplilfier you can pull signals in from far away
I will try the fascia idea. Hopefully it will be strong enough there. Plus the RCA 751 antenna is not getting all the local channels I want. Time to try Winegard.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:24 AM  
Speedbump
Water well etc.

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Wiengard also makes an amplifier that will help boost the signal. I tried one here recently, but I'm so close to our antenna farm, that it actually tried to combine several frequencies making the picture impossible to watch.

Quick Reply