DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > basement baseboard waterproofing system...not working!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 07:08 AM  
CyFree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
I checked last night after a short but heavy rain, and had a few inches of water drain into the sump pit...so that part is working.

I think what may need to be done is some grading on the outside of the house where the sump drains out. I saw a little puddle building up last night and that corner is by far the worst of the 4. I think I'll try extending the downspout a little and also the sump pump outlet, and also add some dirt to grade it away from the house more.

Hopefully that will solve my problem...
The grading and extending the water spouts will definitely help. The main cause of basement leak is an over saturated backfill. That soil around the foundation, which was dug out so that hey could build the walls and then back filled is more loose than the hard packed unexcavated portion. It is like a sponge. The hydrostatic pressure resulting from the over saturation, is what pushes the water through the basement walls. So it is indeed a good thing to keep that soil as dry as possible.

That in conjunction with the baseboard system might do the trick. If it doesn't, it means you have a drainage problem. That means the french drain which is usually installed by the foundation footing, is either clogged or collapsed. You can fix that by installing a drain tile internally,along the internal perimeter of the basement walls.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply