DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Basement bathroom

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 09:25 PM  
Donjuan

Default Basement bathroom

Hi Everyone I am a new member

We have a 3 piece bathroom in our basement that currently doesn't have a window in it .Since the bathroom is off a hallway ,both areas are dark most of the time,So we have to the lights when we go down there no matter what time a day it is.Does anyone think it would be a good selling point if we ever listed our house to install a window .The window company called me ,i can get a mismeasured window for a $100.00(regular $250.00)I have retired bricklayer lined up for $50.00 and about $75.00 for framing material,I think a window in the bathroom would not only bring in light butventilation and we would even save on electricity by not using the light so often
Thanks
Don

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 10:27 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 719 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 1265

I'm not a big fan of little windows that don't bring in a lot of light and never get opened as is the case in most basement bathrooms, but it is a selling feature. If the ceiling joists land on this wall you will need a header so you lose the first 11 inches from the ceiling, depending on where it would be located that may not matter.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:12 AM  
Donjuan

Hi Nealtw,
Actually the window I'm looking at is 30 " W x 24 " H. I live in a raised ranch style house soo the window is high on the wall anyways.I'm sure I will use it all the time
Donjuan

Old 04-03-2012, 06:50 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 719 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 1265

That should give you lots of light.
BTW Welcome to the site.

Quick Reply