DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Basement insulating help needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2006, 07:11 AM  
Model Builder

Thanks for the encouragement. I priced out yesterday the 5/4 decking material at Lowes. It is a bit more than the non treated lumber I was originally going to use. But I hadn't thought about the chance of moisture affecting the wood. I am glad you mentioned it. As soon as I get my next check which should have been here yesterday and wasn't I will be able to continue. I need to have this done by the end of the month if not earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD
T-1-11 is fine to cover the insulation board.As stated you need to follow manufacturers instructions on rigid board glues on concrete and studs.
The idea you are useing without getting into to much science is a good one.
The less wood and sheetrock (organic materials )in a basement the better.
Also staying away from fiberglass insulation is also a good idea in basements that get mold.
You are in the right direction with steel channels and foam....
Keep on buildin....

InspectorD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2006, 04:55 PM  
Model Builder

The work is progressing along well. I bought the 5/4 decking lumber and even found help from a neighbor to help hold it in place while I screwed it in. I have 1 1/2 walls done and should be finished by next week then onto the T1-11.
While I was working I got to wondering what to do with the basement floor. I don't know if I should lay down 2x2's with foam in between then flooring ply over that? Of is there a better way? I am concerned about the possiblility of mold forming over time.

Old 04-15-2006, 06:04 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

There's a possibility of mold anytime, anywhere. Basements are especially succeptable. You might lay plastic over the floor first, then build the finished floor.

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Quick Reply