DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Basement support pole removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2007, 08:49 AM  
Goldeneye

Default Basement support pole removal

Hi,

I'm in the process of remodeling my one story ranch house basement it 40' long. There are currently 4 metal poles in the center of the basement that run the lenght of the house. They are positioned from the foundation wall 7' - 8' - 8' - 8' - 7' apart . These are the main poles that hold 3 9x1.5 inch boards nailed together. I'd like to remove one of the poles that is located 7' from the foundation wall. I was wondering if this would be safe or can I raplace the pole with 2 other poles starting 2' from the foundation wall and the other one at 9' from the foundation wall. This would give me more open space in the room I plan to use as a work shop. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2007, 10:35 AM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 36

You really should have a professional look at the adequacy of the beam(splices, loads, etc.) relative to your house and framing system including the roof.

In any case, you should have any post sitting on a new footing rather that putting it on an unknown slab with unknown soil under it.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:30 PM  
JoeD
Contractor

Liked 100 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It sounds feasable. You need an engineer and a building permit to verify that. You will be required to bust out the floor in install a proper foundation under the new pole locations. The floor itself can't support the load.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:35 PM  
Goldeneye

Thanks for the info. I didn't think it would be a big deal but I guess it's more than I can tackle myself....

Old 01-12-2007, 12:06 PM  
cibula11

I would agree that you probably should consult a professional. But, I had an entryway leading from my living room to my dining room where the floor sloped about 2 inches. I consulted a couple of general contractors who had worked on older homes. They both said that I could use 2 or 3 adjustable poles sitting on a 10' 6x6. As long as you aren't planning on using that space for anything...this may be something you could consider, but only after having someone actually see that situation.

Quick Reply