DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Basement toilet opinion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2008, 07:57 AM  
dgr8dude

Default Basement toilet opinion

Hi, I'm in the process of finishing my basement and I decided to install a toilet as well since there's already a drain. So when I was buying the toilet and tank over at home depot, the guy told me not to get the 6 liter (1.5 gallons) because basement toilet needs at least 13 liters (3.4 gallons) to flush? how true is this? Btw, my house is only about 5 years old. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2008, 09:16 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome Chad:
I noticed you live in Canada and I don't know about the plumbing laws there but in the U S A it is illegal to even make a toilet that requires more than a 1.6 liter flush.
There is no reason a basement toiled would need more water than any other. You said you already have a drain there so your basement floor must be above the municipal sewer line or septic system. Otherwise, if you had to raise the sewage above the floor to drain into the 'point of discharge' it would be accomplished with a pump so there is still no need for the increased flow toilet.
Glenn

Old 02-21-2008, 10:10 AM  
dgr8dude

Thanks Glenn. I don't think we have any similar law here since 1.6 gallon and 3.4 gallon tanks are sold here. We do get rebates for 1.6 gallon tanks since it conserves water. I was just confused on why wouldn't a smaller tank work on a basement toilet. The salesman said it might not flush properly and thus needs more water, but for sure there's already a drain so the sewer line should be below that.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:16 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hi Chad:
Some of the newer 1.6 gallon toilets require flushing twice at times. But you should be fine with the smaller one. Remember, only 1% of sewage that arrives at the water treatment plant is solids.
Glenn

Quick Reply