DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Bath tub installation

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 07:23 PM  
johnnymnemonic

Default Bath tub installation

We've got our bath tub mostly installed. The bath tub came with a manual, plus we've read a lot about bath tub installation. Here are a few things that were done for ours that don't match the manual... are these OK or will I have a surprise down the road and swim in my apartment?

1. No mortar bed was installed underneath our bath tub. Our bath tub has adjustable support feet.
2. No ledger was placed to support the edge of the bath tub.
3. Sheetrock will come on top and cover the edge of the bath tub. The manual shows the bath tub being adjacent to the sheet rock, supported by a ledger, and finally tiles coming down on the wall and silicone for sealant.
4. The contractor made a cut to an edge of the bath tub to fit it between pipes.

Our bath tub manufacturer says that the 20 year limited warranty is void if any change is made to the bath tub or if the bath tub is not mounted according to their recommended procedures.

Should I be concerned here?

I'm posting a few pictures and manual figures in case you need them.

nov-13-2011-12-.jpg   nov-13-2011-13-.jpg   nov-13-2011-14-.jpg   nov-13-2011-15-.jpg   manual-figures.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 09:50 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 459 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Why did they cut the edge of the tub?

Old 11-13-2011, 11:46 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

Simply back-charge the contractor for the replacement cost of a new tub. His butcher-job definitely voids any factory warranty, and is almost certain to cause problems down the road. If you need something to back up your claim, send the butcher picture to the tub manufacturer, and simply forward their response to the contractor.

If he fights it, tell him you'll see him in Small Claims Court, after you're had the tub replaced by a different contractor, to the tune of a bazillion dollars. And while you're at it, tell him you want the dead rat removed, asap.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:15 AM  
isola96

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah did the contractor consult you 1st before he knotched out that piece?.. Your wall will never work with the pipe there with out moving the pipe or get a smaller size tub what a shame

Old 11-14-2011, 05:05 AM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I agree with the other posters 100%, and what's with all those metal strips?
Now the tub has no support under it and will crack in no time.
Looks like none of the simple instrutions were followed, and this was tub install 101.
If that's a vent pipe that was in the way, it may have been able to be snapped off and rerouted or steped down to a 3" vent. Hard to say without being there to see it and knowing what your local plumbing inspector would have to say about it.
If that's louon underlament I see on that sub floor it needs to go also. It's no longer approved for just about any flooring except carpet. It causes glues to reliece and color bleed through if it's a linoulim floor. If it's going to be a tile floor then that's a big no no to use 1/4" anything under it.
Also why do I not see any insulation and dry wall behind the tub to keep the air from cooling the tub down?

Last edited by joecaption; 11-14-2011 at 10:30 AM.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:23 PM  
johnnymnemonic

Hmm, we spoke to the contractor today about the bath tub and he said the tub warranty was voided as if he was saying "good day".

As far as the manual figures, he said that they are simply wrong. He said that all the bath tubs in Europe and US are done the way he's doing his; he also mentioned that, if you put the bath tub against the sheetrock, any water that goes between the sheetrock and the tile will go behind the bath tub, whereas if he puts the sheetrock over the tub any such water will go back into the bath tub.

The contractor's explanation for cutting the bath tub was that it doesn't fit. I don't think ordering a new tub was in his plans, because ever since the work has begun he's been hurrying things along so he can fit this project into two months. All the other contractors had quoted me a minimum of three, but this contractor wants to pull it off in two.

I'll check with to see if my condo association allows the pipe to be moved.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:03 PM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Everything he said is just wrong. They do not print out those instructions just for something to do. I've never seen one so poorly installed.
Someone else may have installed one before his way but I'd bet before long they have all cracked at the bottom and had to be replaced.
This guy needs to go. And when you go to court you would not have to say a word, just hand the pictures to the judge and sit down and watch this guy squarm.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:45 PM  
isola96

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Wow that's crazy he measured from stud to stud and never thought about the pipe
And probably used his feet to measure with lol
You still need to replace tub even of you move or resize the pipe the legs on the bottom of the tub are adjustable?

Old 11-14-2011, 04:43 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 850 Times on 759 Posts
Likes Given: 1466

Looks like wood against brick. We always set the back flanges on a 2x4 attached to the wall and solid block between studs to support the drywall just above tub in case some one falls against it. None of this looks good.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:17 PM  
isola96

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

And that floor is another thread all it's own my oh my?!?... It's ok if you tell us you hired Helen Keller to do this bathroom lol

Quick Reply