DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Bathroom moisture a real problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2008, 10:10 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 122 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Default Also

Checking the line for bees nests and crushing effects is fine. But if you are over 8 feet long on a 100cfm fan....you get minimal air exhaust. Also if there is a negative pressure on the house side, the fan may get no exhaust out because the house needs it for makeup air to breath.
Without trying to figure it out in person, go for the bigger fan, check the lines for blockage and don't run over 12 feet in a direct line, with no more than 2 - 90 degree turns. Problem solved.
Just my opinion of course.

Just My
Made in the

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2008, 10:14 AM  
Hube

[QUOTES by Square Eye;
Most of the exhaust fans in this area are vented with flexible lines.

They're not hard to detach from the roof jack and a man can easily reach up into the roof jack and clear any blockages. If this fan is vented with flexible line, the line could be crushed, there could be a blockage at the fan housing, he may discover that it was never vented to the outside at all... There are several reasons to check the attic. Personally, I've seen a vent fan buried under 10 - 12" of blown-in insulation. I don't know if it was forgotten or just installed without but it happens
Answer;******************************************* **************
On the average home you do not even have to go up on the roof to see if it is vented to the outside.The termination point should be able to be seen from the ground.And if it is not installed to the outside, then you obviously have to up on the roof sooner or later to install it properly.
And fyi,any part of the fan or pipe that is buried under any insulation is good because it will eliminate any chance of condensation forming on the fan and pipe parts, thus leaking or dripping down into the ceiling below.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:05 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

*clarification*
I've seen an exhaust fan buried under insulation with no ducting at all.

This is a serious moisture problem. If you suspect that an exhaust fan is not ducted properly, by all means, find out what's going on now!

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 04-09-2008, 03:28 PM  
woodman

Default Response to fan issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsrik View Post
thanks so much, Glenn. I haven't seen a fan with 300 CFM but I'll be checking that out!!
Yes, a 300 CFM would do it if you do not mind the noise. You can go to 'Graingers.com' They sell mostly industrial quality products. Personally I created a unit from a simpler 'box' fan and encased it in wood that includes a 'window shutter' look to hide the ugly fan. You can buy this for 15bux or so from any wal-mart, lowes, etc. Hope this helps. Remember, when in doubt, become creative.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:50 PM  
Quattro
Massive Tool Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hube View Post
Wrong!! from the ROOF you can remove the cap,etc and look into the pipe to see if it is obstructed.
From the attic you will never be able to remove the outside part of the pipe from the roof jack, as the caulked weather skirt will prevent this from happening. And even if you could you would never be able to recaulk around the weather skirt without going onto the roof.
Not to prolong this "argument", but you're coming off a little strong, eh?

In my particular house, there is absolutely NOTHING you could do from the roof to check the condition of the vent pipe from the fan to the roof. Nothing. Nada.

Not sure why this went on so long anyway...we don't even know if the OP's fan vents through the roof, or out a sidewall.

I guess what I'm saying is...as Bill Clinton says...chill out!

Old 04-11-2008, 07:17 AM  
Hube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Not to prolong this "argument", but you're coming off a little strong, eh? IS THAT JUST YOUR OPINION?

In my particular house, there is absolutely NOTHING you could do from the roof to check the condition of the vent pipe from the fan to the roof. Nothing. Nada. MAYBE NOT IN 'YOUR' HOUSE, BUT THERE ARE MANY OTHERS ON THE BLOCK!!

Not sure why this went on so long anyway...we don't even know if the OP's fan vents through the roof, or out a sidewall. HUH! WHAT WENT ON?

I guess what I'm saying is...as Bill Clinton says...chill out!
WHO THE HECK IS BILL CLINTON????
WHY SHOULD I CHILL OUT,I'M NOT EVEN WARM YET

Old 04-11-2008, 02:00 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 122 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Default Ok then...

Well now... Now that all the hot air has been vented from the room...
What have you done to remedy the issue?
Does it seem to be working or do you need more advice?
Just here to help.

Just My
Made in the

Quick Reply