DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Bathroom rebuild

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 01:19 PM  
lonestarsmoker

Default Bathroom rebuild

Hi folks. I am new to the forum. I am about to tackle a big job. I intend to take my bathroom down to the studs. I will be going back with a tile shower, tile floor with radiant heat under the tiles. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how I should do this.
Thanks
Dan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 09:41 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

OK, Dan, you asked for it. You want to walk into the bathroom, remove all of the old stuff, and install new stuff. Done!

Seriously, you need to be a bit more specific with any questions you may have.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:23 PM  
RocLok
RocLok Master

Good plan to take it to the studs if you are planning a tile shower and radiant heat. I would even take up the floor around the toilet to inspect the drains, look at the shower drain, the sink drains etc and make sure it all looks good and no evidence of leaks. When you get to putting it all back together remember it will leak. Design every layer to deal with leaks, I used plastic on the thuds, then tar paper, then the Hardibacker which I sealed with Red Guard. One I built had a tub and the other was all concrete, the concrete one also had a butyl rubber type shower pan in there as well. Moving the placement of a shower or tub or sinks is relatively easy after you gut the bathroom, but moving a toilet is not as easy especially if you have cast iron lines.

Don’t forget to insulate around everything especially the shower, that will keep it warm and keep the water noise from traveling as far. Remember to upgrade your outlets to GFCI, install a good exhaust fan for the water vapors. Water is the enemy, it can cause a lot of damage and is patient enough to keep attacking things until it wins. That is why I say to plan everything out as if it will leak.

Good luck!

Ex Realtor, house flipper, remodelor and now building a vintage truck, making friends and fixing my house.

Ever Lock Yourself out? [url]www.RocLok.com[/url]

Building a vintage 39 1.5 Ton Truck[URL="http://www.1939Cummins.Info"]http://www.1939Cummins.Info[/URL]

Old 03-09-2012, 07:12 PM  
isola96

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Bridgeman is correct, you need to be well planed and prepared to do a job like this. I do this for a living and I still get scared when it's all demo out and nothing but studs. Most of the time I find very bad things

Well....start post some pictures up of your framing in there lets start with that before you start closing thing in.

After framing then plumbing then electrical then drywall. Do u have exhaust fan? No? put one in its open already.
Take a level to everything
Is your floor level for tub how about level for vanity.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:12 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Taking down to the studs is an excellent idea but my first question would be is this Bathroom on a concrete slab or is it on a crawlspace or second floor? my second question would be do you presently have a Just shower or a tub or a tub shower combo. Pictures would be real niceA couple things to expect, moisture, maybe some rot, this has to be delt with and bone dry before you start filling anything in. Another question would be how old is the house and how old is the present fixtures ( original or it has been redone in the past). Of course your going to have plumbing issues to deal with one of which is the shower or tub or shower tub water system. This should be replaced with all new fixtures as well as the drains.
Do you have tile setting experiance, this is a major issue and is where many mistakes happen.
My last question would be what are you going to do on this bathroom yourself and what will be hired out. I also do this for a living and like isola96 said expect bad things then it won't be such a surprisesneak over to my photo's page I do have some picks under the Bathroom section http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/daryledi/BathLaundry/

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Last edited by Daryl in Nanoose; 04-16-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:58 AM  
RocLok
RocLok Master

Looks like this guy made his first post, asked a question and then never came back to hear out replies... bummer.

Ex Realtor, house flipper, remodelor and now building a vintage truck, making friends and fixing my house.

Ever Lock Yourself out? [url]www.RocLok.com[/url]

Building a vintage 39 1.5 Ton Truck[URL="http://www.1939Cummins.Info"]http://www.1939Cummins.Info[/URL]

Old 04-17-2012, 04:28 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 409 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocLok View Post
Looks like this guy made his first post, asked a question and then never came back to hear out replies... bummer.
It happens a lot. Some loose interest, some get distracted, some, I think may have been abducted by aliens.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:37 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 795 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 1354

Dam geese

Old 04-18-2012, 06:49 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It's to bad, this is an excellent topic to discuss, just did 4 bath redo's and was all ready to get into this

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Old 04-18-2012, 09:04 AM  
lonestarsmoker

I have not been abducted, really. Just real busy with work, the rebuild and family problems. The rebuild is going well. I am taking things really slow as I have never done any of this type of work at all. I found the dry rot as expected, fixed that. I had to rehang the door, fixed that. I cement board on the floor and shower stall walls. I have tile half way up the shower stall. I have learned so much on this project. The next time I do this it should be a whole lot easier.
Dan

Quick Reply