DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Bathroom Remodel

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 02:32 PM  
dieball

Default Bathroom Remodel

Im planning on remodeling my small 5x7 bathroom next weekend. One lingering question i have concerns the tub. Because the current tub goes wall to wall, once i remove it, how easily will the new tub fit into said space? I just dont see how a 60" tub will be able to be set into the location. The only way to bring it in, is through the door. How do i go about turning/twisting/rotating the tub so that it fits w/o the use of hammers, and removing studs?

Last edited by dieball; 02-17-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 06:38 PM  
Fireguy5674

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Sadly, most likely all of the above will be needed. Hammers etc. Friend of mine was talking about opening his exterior wall to remove and replace his tub.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:41 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 73 Times on 65 Posts

Not easy to provide reasonable answers without knowing a few more things, such as how wide the door opening is, how tall the tub is (that will be the narrowest dimension), and what the tub is made of. Most tubs are less than 16" tall, which is an easy fit through any interior doorway. Standing a tub on its strong end is usually the best way to get it into a small bathroom, resting and sliding it on a carpet scrap to prevent chewing up the floor. Plan on having some help with the new tub, as carefully dropping one into a tight space can be tricky, if not impossible, for one person. Especially if the new model is cast iron, some of which weigh more than 300 lbs.

In a previous house, I installed a large acrylic whirlpool tub without any help. It was a 2-person model, about 4' wide and slightly more than 2' tall. Didn't have to remove any wall or doorway framing material, either; just pulled all hinge pins and temporarily removed the interior doors that were a tight fit.

Last edited by BridgeMan; 02-17-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:08 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 744 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 1297

You will need to remove drywall to get the old one out. Pull the tub out far enough so the skirt will go between stud when you stand it on end. Same proceedure for installing, unless you are trying to put in some 34' one peice or something big like that, then you are removing studs.

Quick Reply