DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Best way to get rid of dandelions from the yard

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 11:58 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 301 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 102

http://www.weedkillercane.com/

http://lawn-gardening-tools.com/Item/dandelion-removal-tool

Or check out garage sales.

http://articles.philly.com/2009-11-20/news/24988192_1_garden-tools-hoes-single-edge-razor-blades

I have one that looks just like a cane with 4 nails coming out of the bottom and a trigger. I have never found them again but you stick it in the ground give it a twist and the root comes out and point it at a bucket and pull the trigger and a spring shoots it in the bucket and its ready to go again. Amazing invention and for whatever reason never caught on. The closest I have seen is this.
http://kk.org/cooltools/archives/4389

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 11:59 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 301 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 102

sorry double post

Old 04-20-2013, 06:32 PM  
greenlady0

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default best solution to dandelions

To add to the previous comment about pulling and applying weed b gone to any remaining root. Take along a bag of top soil fill hole on top up to ground level, sprinkle grass seed and more topsoil. To finish water lightly or wait for rain. The grass will fill in nice and lush and won't let weeds get a chance to fill in the empty space again...at least not easily.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:17 PM  
06Honda

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ideal time of year is the fall as its leaves take in what is put on it to store in its roots for the winter. Weed killer applied at this time will kill both the plant and root.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:49 AM  
rockhound

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Get a pair of long, 12" long nose needle nose pliers. Then use a hammer, the handle on the hammer is for leverage. you can get 4-6 a minute root and all. pull the weed about a 1/2" up then you can pull it out root and all without making a big hole. It works great with minimal effert

Old 05-24-2013, 02:09 PM  
relic4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Scotts Weed and Feed is banned in Canada thanks to our Enviromentalists

Old 05-24-2013, 05:22 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 354 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 142

I noticed the same problem with Scott's Weed and Feed ... if it doesn't get right on the weed, you have not necessarily killed it. Plus, the stuff is really expensive if you cover the entire lawn. Plus, plus, if you use it in a broadcast mode you are putting lots of chemicals on your lawn.

How about this: A water spray bottle in one hand and an old glass bottle with big holes stabbed in the lid. Fill the glass bottle with Scotts Weed and Feed. Just walk through the lawn and spray water on each weed (not that big a deal). Shake the W&F directly onto the weed so it adheres directly. This guarantees death to the weed and a minimum use of the chemicals.

For fertilizer, I but generic with a complete nitrogen-phosphorus-potassium ratio such as 21-7-14, 16-6-8. Some lawn guys like 15-15-15 but I get better results with the first two.

One other tip, I mow "high." I grow grass at its highest-recommended height to encourage a deep root system. Taller grass blades shade the soil to reduce moisture loss, protect the grass “crown” (growing points), and ensure blades will not wilt as easily when mowed. Lawns at their highest mowing heights grow more slowly, which in turn reduces water use and the need to mow.

BUT, taller lawns force weeds to grow upward, through the blades, which exposes the weed branch to weed killed!

Quick Reply