DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   General Home Improvement Discussion (
-   -   Blistering Laminate (

SMF92154 03-16-2008 04:06 PM

Blistering Laminate
I had kitchen cabinets re-faced 3 years ago. I think the contractor used laminate with water-based glue. Now, one of the cabinet's laminate is blistering. How can I repair it without replacing it?

inspectorD 03-16-2008 05:41 PM

Do you mean the fomica is bubbling or the sheet is peeling away from the substrate?(Particleboard)
If it is just bubbling, you can try a heat gun and a putty knife to get an edge loose. Then get some glue in there.
Or try a local cabinet shop, they may have some answers, but take some pictures or the door with you.:)

SMF92154 03-17-2008 05:28 PM

blistering laminate
The sheet has several large bubbles, but NOT peeling away. Kind of looks like particle board after it gets wet

inspectorD 03-17-2008 05:39 PM

Go the heat gun route. Try a hair dryer if you have to, it may not work...but you can try.
If that does not do it, rent, or purchase a heat gun.Work for the closest edge, get the putty knife ready, and a couple of chopsticks or wood skewers for cooking, put them in there to keep it separated so it does not stick back right away.
Then glue it back together. You may need some clamps to hold it firm, with some boards to span the entire section of the cabinet...makes the clamp area bigger...once you start you will get the idea.
Good luck, and open a window.:)

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:28 AM.