DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Broken Kitchen Counter (photos inside)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 05:46 PM  
tigersmith

Default Broken Kitchen Counter (photos inside)

Hello, I am a guest visiting this forum hoping that you guys can help me.

The counter in my kitchen broke as a result of being hit by a hard object. I have posted some photos below.

I am not sure what material the counter is, but it looks to me like marble. Can you guys tell the material from the photos?

My question is: what is the best way to repair this and what is the estimated cost? (I am guessing that some kind of glue must be purchased)

Any and all advice appreciated
- Tiger

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 08:21 PM  
Wuzzat?

Liked 135 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 76

If you can get access to the underside of the counter in the area of the crack, I think it can be repaired structurally but the crack will probably be visible; is this OK?
From the photos, you have access to the edges of this countertop, and this may be enough to repair this. The repair needs to be able to stand bending stress.

You can measure the volume of the piece by submerging it in water, and then weigh it, and compare the measured density with that of marble [2563 kg/cu.m, give or take some].
A candle flame is 600°-1400°C; you could apply that to the underside at an edge. Marble should be unaffected.
If it's some composite material, machining instructions supplied by the manuf. would be helpful.

By default you could try epoxy but the repair won't be able to withstand a downward force.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 03-16-2010 at 08:44 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply