DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Building Out or Building Up?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2008, 06:04 AM  
JulieC

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyod View Post
Another option... You could convert your garage to a master suite. this will be the most economical way. 1st floor suites are big now.. then you could add a pole barn for a couple grand for a garage.
We actually have a pole barn, huge, 30'x60'. I've thought about that, the latest plan added space above the garage. Couldn't figure out how to make that look right in several attempts, but got one the other day. The problem with converting the garage to a master suite is the same as the problem with the garage entrance into the house. Have to go down from the garage, through the lower level, up to the main level, then up to the bedroom level. The first floor master suite is nice because you can get there with no steps ... wouldn't work in this house without foundation work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2008, 12:36 PM  
JulieC

Default The latest...

I have a couple different floor plans worked out, here is the front elevation. To the existing house ...

* "Enlarge" the middle section. Existing roof on this section can stay in place minus a dormer cutout. Add same pitch (4:12) roof at same elevation, narrower on front and back by about 2'. The "gable inside the gable" is the existing roof, the enclosing gable is the new.

* Drop garage ceiling to the left of the right side-load garage door/opener mechanism to 7'6" (as drawn, not that you can tell), or 7'0" (need to check code, would rather have those extra inches upstairs) all the way across (front-to-back). This creates a 22'x14' space for master suite.

* Interior, non-bearing wall work to create access stairs (31" or 25" difference, depending on height garage floor is dropped to, assuming 10" floor thickness) to new master suite.

Also, this drawing uses the existing siding, except on the front of the middle section and gable-end shingles. We found some extra siding in the garage attic, plus we should be able to salvage enough (won't take much) to do repairs (a few small holes, a little melted from idiot former owners' gas grill). Cultured stone accents would be new as would be the gable-end shingles.

I'm not looking for exact numbers, just "would cost more, less, same" type info.

eefh.jpg  

Old 05-17-2008, 08:29 AM  
JulieC

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnessjr View Post
How do you like that software?
I like it pretty well. I learned some about AutoCad when I was in college, but that was a long time ago. Kind of like I took statics (essentially truss design) and dynamics (same thing for moving parts), all engineers take those classes. However, my specialty was software, so it's been 20 years since I thought much about those.

Punch took some learning, but I'm good with it now. There is a newer version that the one I've got. I could upgrade for $25, but I haven't seen a list of the enhancements or fixes. There are some bugs I'd like fixes (annoying, but workaround-able) for and I'd be willing to for.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:33 AM  
gerrit duits
master builder

if you build out, not up,
you find the price of the house when or if you sell it, increase more than going up .

[FONT="Impact"][SIZE="4"][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 08-25-2008, 11:56 PM  
Novello

Default Re

Hi
I like your designs. Both are really very good. I normally believe to invest money in real estate . With the help of it we can earn good amount of money.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:51 AM  
wilsonmian

How did you make that drawing? That is wonderful. Anyhow I like the 2nd one but I can't give any technical advice.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:03 AM  
JulieC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonmian View Post
How did you make that drawing? That is wonderful. Anyhow I like the 2nd one but I can't give any technical advice.
The software is Punch! Platinum, I used the "Export 3D, current live view" option. Thanks for your input everyone, I've come up with something my husband likes to. The front facade remains the same, the addition is to the rear and gives us a first-floor master suite, powder room, open floor plan and pantry.

Quick Reply