DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Cabinet Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 01:55 AM  
dstout84

Likes Given: 2

Default Cabinet Question

Hey all,
Just bought our first house and we are going to replace some old formica countertops and I want to put some base cabinets beneath the new countertops rather than have it freefloating on a desk like the previous owners. I was hoping to match the new cabinet doors to the existing ones rather than replace every cabinet door, but I've never seen anything like this and was wondering if anyone else has or had any insight into how I might go about matching. They seem to be slab doors with some type of design glued onto the front??

Thanks!
Dan

imag0270.jpg   imag0271.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 08:14 AM  
nealtw

Liked 647 Times on 580 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Welcome to the site. This can be done with some jigging up a router to make the shape and then apply it to a slab door.
Do you have a router and have you used it much, if not this would be good job to learn on.
How thick is the main part of the door and how thick is the overlay?

Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 92 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 59

You might be able to take an existing door to a cabinet maker and have him fab one up for you.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:43 AM  
dstout84

Likes Given: 2

Door is 7/16 of an inch thick and the onlay is 1/8 of an inch thick. I think this might be a great time to get my hands dirty and learn how to use a router. I will use kok328s suggestion of taking it to a cabinet maker as my bailout if I fail miserably. Appreciate the suggestions.

Last edited by dstout84; 02-20-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:39 PM  
nealtw

Liked 647 Times on 580 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

40 years ago the jig they used for that was not available to the public, now you see them at garage sales from time to time. For one or two doors it's quicker to build a jig than set up the factory made one.
If you look at the lower picture you will see that there two reliefs on the onlay. I would bet that it is 3/8" thick. I think if you only have a couple doors a sheet of 1/2" mdf would be enough to build the jigs and the doors. If it dosn't work you're out $20 and you have experience with the router.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:11 PM  
kitchen-remodel
www.nhkitchens.com

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you don't want to try to make the doors yourself... Maybe Keystone Wood Specialties will make it for you. The will do as little as one door for you. I would suggest e-mailing them pictures.

Gary
www.nhkitchens.com

Quick Reply