DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Can I replace fireplace doors?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 12:26 PM  
SavvyCat

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Can I replace fireplace doors?

I have a prefab fireplace with a blower, and I really hate the doors. They swing out and you can't open them all the way because of items kept on the hearth, like the tools and log rack. Can these kinds of door be replaced with bifold style or something that just tucks away? Is it hard to DIY?

Attached is a picture. I'm not sure if I would have to replace the whole front of the thing, or if it can be just the door assembly. Any pros out there?

fireplace.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 01:17 PM  
handyguys

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

I have done a few. Its been, umm, 25 years. ug. Yours is an inset style meaning it fits between the bricks, not an overlay style which goes over the bricks. An inset style is more of a pain because you have fewer options. We used to make templates in the field. I was the kid who had the privilege of getting inside the fire box while someone held up a big piece of cardboard over the opening. I took a marker and drew the opening from the inside.

We sent these templates to the manufacturer who fabricated the door. The install was easy, just a couple of brackets and masonry anchors.

Portland Willamette was one brand that could be done custom as I recall.
Portland Willamette :

For you, you likely do not need a template as things look square and straight. The template was for arched or irregular stone fireplaces.

Good luck

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

Old 03-12-2009, 07:38 AM  
SavvyCat

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks for the info. I ended up getting super curious last night and was able to discover that it's a Superior B1038 fireplace and they do sell replacement doors for it all over the internet FOR ONLY $500!!! Give or take... Yeesh! I'm going to have to ask Santa Claus for that one or something.

Quick Reply