DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Can I temporarily connect my dishwasher in utility room while remodeling kitchen?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 07:24 PM  
ilyaz

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Can I temporarily connect my dishwasher in utility room while remodeling kitchen?

We'll be remodeling our kitchen and I wanted to temporarily connect the dishwasher in the utility room. Can this be done safely? It would be standing next to our washer and drier and I was thinking about draining it into the same large utility sink where the washer is drained. I assume I will need to put some sort of strainer in the sink to prevent it from being clogged by the debris coming out of the dishwasher. Can the d/w be "freestanding" or do I need to secure it somehow? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010, 12:46 AM  
AllProPlumber

There shouldn't be a problem with running the drain line into the laundry sink. Because the dishwashers are designed to be installed under the kitchen counter they have little tabs at the top that are screwed to the underside of the counter. If these tabs are not secured to any thing then the dishwasher will fall forward when the door is opened or if one of the shelves are pulled. You will need to figure out how to secure the dishwasher to keep it from falling forward or somebody could get hurt.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:19 AM  
GregC
Quick Belt System

Hi, As ALLproplumber stated, this would be fine. Just make sure it is fastened someway so it does not tip over while running or if someone bumps into it. Be sure to secure the drain as well so it does not "whip" out and wash your house along with the dishes. Hope this helps. GregC

GregC, President/Founder [COLOR="Blue"]www.Quicktoolbeltsystem.com[/COLOR]

Quick Reply