DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Can you help a newbie renovate the bathroom shower?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 12:58 PM  
rando

Okay, in my case I am kinda free to do anything at this point. What would you suggest? I don't like the masonite bathroom board for the same reasons. Locally, the Lowe's has yellow board, which has no paper. I was going to use that. I don;t think I'm up to tiling yet. At least I'd rather not be tiling around a fiberglass shower surround. Seems pointless to me.

I have lived in a house for 30 years that has non green sheetrock in the bathroom, and around and above the bath tub. Has been repainted with primers and mold resistant paint and no signs of breakdown in the last 12 years since the repaint. So I figured the yellow board would work fine. by the time it breaks down, we'll be ready to re-do again.

But I am open to suggestions.

Randy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2008, 01:44 PM  
alboa

Here's a great selection of articles for your bath project... Bathroom Remodeling.

Also, never discount the help you can receive from your local Home Depot or Lowes workers. There's always at least one knowledgeable person there that can help you.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:47 PM  
alboa

I think i posted this in the wrong thread...oops!

Here's a great selection of articles for your bath project... Bathroom Remodeling.

Also, never discount the help you can receive from your local Home Depot or Lowes workers. There's always at least one knowledgeable person there that can help you.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:48 PM  
alboa

nevermind, i just realized there was a second page. Sorry!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:51 PM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'd like to point out a few things. Drywall is never the best choice but I have been in lots of 20 - 30 year old homes that have weathered just fine but on the other hand I have been in older homes were it did not weather good, I believe a lot has to do with installation and maintenance and just how close to water its getting.Shower curtains are famous for letting water escape out the sides so if there is regular drywall your going to have a problem at some point in time. checking the caulking is very very important, if it has a crack its going to let water in and thats a no no so if a person checks this and repairs it when it happens you have a better chance of it surviving.
I have seen lots of drywall fail with tile work on it, again its usually cracked caulking or the grout has either cracked or was never sealed.
So you see it really comes down to the installation and workmanship but if you notice there is a common denominator here " Drywall".
Green board has been used for years and the misconception is they say it's water proof ....Wrong, it is is moisture resistant but only for so long with repeated water getting on it .
Now having said this I have installed lots of green board around acrylic shower tubs without any problems but I take special care in the installation. I also point out to my customers the point I made above about shower curtains and they almost all put shower doors in. Buy the way do not use 100% silicone against a surface thats going to be painted instead us a mildew resistant acrylic caulking with silicone that way you can paint it. Paint does not stick to pure silicone. I use silicone when installing shower doors in these acrylic units.

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Last edited by Daryl in Nanoose; 05-29-2008 at 09:54 PM.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:25 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 100 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Default I agree

What I pay attention to the most is a bathroom fan/vent. The better the fan , the more water you remove from the room.

We could just install the bathrooms back outside...but that would be to much sense. We contractors have to stay in business somehow. If all the homes where perfect we would have nothing to fix.

Just My
Made in the

Old 05-30-2008, 06:47 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
What I pay attention to the most is a bathroom fan/vent. The better the fan , the more water you remove from the room.

We could just install the bathrooms back outside...but that would be to much sense. We contractors have to stay in business somehow. If all the homes where perfect we would have nothing to fix.
Totaly agree with the fan but you know something funny, I have been renovating a house for the past 6 months and the bath upstairs which has a tub/shower has no fan but does have a window and there is not a single sign of trouble in there. I just can't beleive it and the house was built in the late 60's.
Hummmmmmm, outhouse renovations

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Quick Reply