DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Cast Iron Bath Tub has rust and hole around drain

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 08:39 AM  
MariaH

Yes, that is a steel tub in the pic. This repair is not recommended for a do-it-yourselfer. But, a good bathtub repair tech can repair that (but he has to be really good). We were refinishers/repairers for 25 years, and we fixed many tubs with that same problem, and the repairs lasted for many more years. You have to find someone who specializes in small tub repairs. Most refinishers do not specialize in this type of repair, and cannot do this repair properly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2009, 06:47 PM  
Cynthia

So clearly the first thing I need to do is figure out what my tub is made of and how badly it's damaged. The rust stain looks similar to the picture, the house was built in 1979, and I suspect they used whatever materials were cheap and standard at the time. Would that be steel? How can you tell? I don't think the damage in my tub is quite as bad as that pictured, but how do I get a good diagnosis?

Last edited by Cynthia; 09-12-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:38 AM  
travelover

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

To determine if a tub is steel, start with a magnet. If it sticks it is steel or cast iron. Then stand in the middle on one foot. Does it flex? If so, it is steel. You can also often see the bottom of the tub through an access door on the other side of the wall from the shower controls. Being of 1979 vintage it is almost certainly steel.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:08 AM  
Cynthia

magnets! of course! So, first I confirm that it's steel, then I take out the drain cover and scrub the rust. Eventually, I should see clean steel. So, how do I determine what needs to be done next? If there are no holes all the way through, can I just resurface? Or do I need to fill in whatever has rusted away?

thanks for your quick response to the first diagnosis question

Old 09-13-2009, 01:55 PM  
kschmandt

Default Replacement?

I know you didn’t want to replace the tub because of the expense. Have you checked www.craigslist.com or www.freecycle.com for used tubs. Even a repair will still not last as long as a tub that doesn’t have this problem to start with. The repair may be more practical in your situation but this might be another option.

Kris - [url]http://www.plansshed.com[/url]

Last edited by kschmandt; 09-13-2009 at 01:58 PM.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:01 PM  
LisaJStar

I have the same problem with one of my tubs in a rental. In fact, the picture is nearly identical to mine right down to the lack of a cross bar in the plug. I was thinking of using the Miracle Method but after a visit by their technician, I don't feel confident. Has anyone used this method?
Thanks.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:46 PM  
Cynthia

if your gut's warning you off, trust it. My parents got their sink "refinished" with some sort of coating, and they can't set the soap bottle on the sink edge anymore. It's too fragile

Old 09-17-2009, 11:35 AM  
LisaJStar

I have decided not to try the professional refinishing method for now. The local hardware store recommended a rust converter.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:26 AM  
Philazran
Reglazing Advisor

Default Bathtub refinishing solution yes or no?

I read this thread from beginning to end and i think people needs to know few things about professional refinishing.

Bathtub refinishing is not for everybody...
if you have few thousands of dollars available and few days available, you definitely should choose to replace the damaged tub (no questions about that). there's nothing like new tub & tiles & plumbing.

Bathtub refinishing solution exists to help people that has a damaged tub but don't have the money or the time to demolish and replace the tub & tiles.
Bathtub refinishing (when it's done right) is a great solution to extend the life of your fixtures.

Bathtub reglazing finish is not bullet proof!!!

Professional coating for tubs is basically a polymer that was designed to strongly adhere to the surface (after a proper prep) and it is high gloss and has certain impact resistancy. the finish is designed for impact of human body and light solid (shampoo bottles soaps etc.)
BTW, heavy shampoo bottle dropped on a tub from high can chip a real porcelain tub !!!!! so there's no reason that the refinishing finish would be different.
Reglazing should be applied ONLY by HVLP spray system. that's the only way to get smooth finish. beware of refinishes that offers brush or roller application. it might be strong enough but it doesn't look good.

In order to keep the finish integrity , refinished bathtub should be maintained like a standard acrylic tub.No abrasives , no acids , and no scrubbing pads can be used - only mild cleaners and a sponge.

NOTE: most people dont know that , but if you clean an acrylic tub with abrasive pad or abrasive cleaner you void your warranty.
so its the same with bathtub refinishing.

its very easy to maintain , and if you used a company that preps the tub right and use a good quality coating, you can have your tub in good condition for the next 5-10 years.

in case of such a rust on the drain:
the easy and expensive solution is to replace everything of course.
But you can get it repaired by a refinishing pro that should do the following:
1. clean the surface and degrease it
2. grind the rust completely with rotary tools
3. etch the surface using hydrofluoric acid
4. sand and clean again.
5. fill and even the surface with water resistant filler.
6. re-glaze the tub with professional coating.

Bathtub refinishing is a great solution to give face lift for a bathroom, while minimizing the costs. the results are amazing when it's done by a professional.
I personally have hundreds of happy customers with almost no complains.

I'll be happy to answer any questions about bathtub refinishing.
I'm not from the states, but my coating supplier is American and it's almost the same kind of market here in Canada.

i hope it was helpful.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:51 AM  
manan

All-

I have the same problem. There is a rust around the drain controller on the top. It has rust and I think when I filled my bathtub it leaked to downstairs aparment. Only time I fill the tub it leaked. I have put a tape around it and it is temporarily fixed. I do not know what to do. I do not have money to replace the tub and I was thinking if reglazing would fix my problem. All people I call for estimate and ask if it would fix my problem; noone gives me answer. they say yes but it seems like they jsut want the job and are saying yes. I want to know if Reglazing would fix my problem. I am new to this and even answers above- I am not able to comprehend. Any recommendation in Norther nj area. Please please help. It is 15 yr or more old tub.

Quick Reply