DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > City making it hard for new investor

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 07:13 PM  
snoop78

Default City making it hard for new investor

I'm new at this income property thing and I just bought a piece of property. The property was sold in a tax auction by the city. The city had a case report done on the property of specific improvements. Some of the work was done when I bought it and the rest unfinished. I know how to lay drywall, flooring repair, etc but because the city has a case report I can not do the minor things because the city wants permits and I'm not on list of contractors. I fully intend to use licensed electricians, plumbers, etc which will file their own permits. My question is if work that was already done that did not have a permit before I purchased the house will the city make me redo or just inspect. Also how can I save money by doing the drywall, flooring, etc myself and not be required to go thru the city. I'm just trying to keep a $10k renovation from being $20k plus. If anyone has anything that can help it would be appreciated.

PS. it is the city of cincinatti, ohio.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 07:51 PM  
nealtw

Liked 538 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 998

snoop: welcome to the site. Have you talked to the city and asked them for details and how much you can do. It is reasonable for them to want permits and inspections on work done by others that was done with out permits.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:43 AM  
Speedbump
Water well etc.

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wouldn't buy anything that the City was aware of. Then they can't tell you how to make improvements. The house is yours until you sell it, so you should be able to do repairs yourself.

There is no common sense in Gubment, so don't even bother trying to have a conversation with them.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:23 PM  
nealtw

I'm not sure I would get a hate on for the city to fast. They may have tagged some really dangerous wiring or plumbing that does need to be dealt with.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:14 PM  
snoop78

No, I definitely agree with any wiring, plumbing or foundation permits but permits to lay drywall, minor board replacement in flooring, etc. Those are things that I'm talking about. I can do the small things without hiring people on their list to do it. I wanted to know if there was a way I could get by with doing the little things myself or would they make me tear down my work or fine me? They have done their own inspection before I bought the property and know what needs to be done to bring it up to code. I have licensed electricians, plumbers, etc waiting but I need to know what financial extras the city will impose. Thanks for your responses they are very helpful.

Thanks once again!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:09 PM  
nealtw

I think you can do your own work even if you have to get a permit. If they are treating this as new construction, you will need to get a permit on the whole house and then other permits.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:42 AM  
Speedbump
Water well etc.

I know a bunch of people who for one reason or another built buildings for their business and have yet to hear any one of them say they had a good experience with the powers that be. Things that should take 3 months usually take a year or more and the expenses just keep rising.

I agree some permits are necessary, but these guys go far and beyond the call of duty.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:24 AM  
nealtw

We here that a lot here too, but most of the time it is misunderstanding what inspections have to be done and what the code is. We have seen people remove drywall because they didn't get the insulation inspected and remove stairs that were completely finished and didn't meet code. Some how that's all the fault of the building inspector.
Along with that keep in mind that construction is down and inspectors have been layed off and the ones that are left are probably overworked and get a little cranky when people blame them for all the problems.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:54 AM  
Speedbump
Water well etc.

I just can't find it in my heart to feel sorry for any gubment employee. And the fact that they have the upper hand and don't have to do one iota of compromising, gives them ultimate power. That and the fact that they have absolutely no regard for your problems, your money or your time.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:16 AM  
snoop78

Thanks for your responses. I will try to sit down with the city and work all issues out. Hopefully with good results.

Quick Reply