DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > cleanup wet basement

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 10:34 AM  
thewaitinggame

Thanks for all the good info. I figured that the wood was probably bad long before this time. Glad to know for sure though. I did plan on taking all the wood framing out in the bar plus the pine paneling but now I wil for sure. I wa thinking of the pressure treated 2x4's to replace all the lower areas that might possibly get we again. I did not know about that "Den-Shield" drywall so I will definately use it. I was not going to refinish that drywall part for a while but now I will. I will you your logic Nestor when rebuilding and holding walls up and studs up. Those joist hangers look like a pretty good idea to use too.

rafael9, our basement is finished but not like the rest of our house finished. The floor that old tile that is in schools and a lot of basements here. Our flooding was very minor but enough water to affect a small area so our cleanup wasn't bad but I'd like to see the link for more information. I'll post some pictures of what i'm talking about when I get home today. I have pictures of the first time we got water. The lower halk our our basement is the pine and the upper and ceiling is drywall, except the one corner that is around out water heater and furnace. That is a complete drywalled wall.

This is exactly the stuff I've been looking for online but can't really find it so thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2009, 11:35 AM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wood rot tends to be fairly localized. It only occurs in wood that got real wet and stayed that way for a long time.

Also, it's unlikely that the bottoms of the studs are rotten. Wood holds moisture inside it by capillary pressure, and it's unlikely that the studs would have been able to suck enough water out of the bottom plate to start rotting themselves. The bottom plates that were in constant contact with water after a flood would most likely be the only wood to rot.

When you replace those rotten bottom plates, you're still going to need a way to fasten the bottoms of the studs to those new bottom plates, and one option is to use small joist hangers. That way, if there's is any wood rot at bottoms of the studs, the joist hanger will span that gap to allow you to fasten the studs to the bottom plate regardless.

Here are two companies that sell both galvanized steel (which is all you really need) and stainless steel joist hangers for 2X4's online:

Joist Hangers

Joist Hangers

Another way to support the wall while the bottom plate is being replaced warrents investigation:

Your can use a stud finder to mark the wall stud locations on the wall, and then attach a 2X4 to the wall using 4 inch deck screws (predrill the holes with an X-tra long drill bit). Now, liberate two scizzor style car jacks from your local auto wreckers for about $1 each and use those to lift up a bit on the 2X4 while the bottom plate is being removed. If the 2X4 is higher up on the wall, just use another piece of 2X4 material on top of the scizzor jack to apply upward pressure on the 2X4.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 08-13-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:59 AM  
thewaitinggame

Well I tore most of that area out. I have some before and after pictures. The floor 2x4 were very rotten. I also found out this has been a problem for a very long time in this house from the neighbor across the street. The basement was redone because it, how it still is so I'm guessing that these are the same boards in there getting wet throughout the years.

Picture 1 and 2 are from the first time we got water. 2 and 3 is pictures of me ripping half of the wood out. 5 is what it looks like now. In picture 5 you can see the drywall area in the back. Our damage isn't too serious but it quite the pain to deal with. We are thinking of rebuilding the bar area different. We possibly might keep the same design too but we were even thinking of using maybe 2 pillar/column in the center to support the bar top. We would leave the area were you feet would be open there. Were just trying to think of ways to rebuild and have as little material on the floor possible.

Those joist hangers would allow a small gap on the so that could be good if it floods again and you could get some air flow through the bottoms of the wood. Now those 2x4 were on the floor and when I pulled them up there was still water there. Probably would have taken a long time to completely dry that way. The gap would be good.

1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

Old 08-14-2009, 09:36 AM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Were the bottom plates of the walls rotted throughout the entire basement? Can you give us some idea of what bottom plates need to be replaced?

Old 08-14-2009, 04:06 PM  
thewaitinggame

Basically that whole center area and the 2x4's all have to go. In the fifth picture I still have very little left on the ground. Those are not as bad as the center but still have some rotten spots. The walls on each side of that, where the doors are, have some rot too. Im going to save all that and just try to replace the floor 2x4's. The back wall where the drywall is, I think that stuff might be fine. It looks like it has dried up fine so I might be safe there. The water never reached the perimeter walls for us but I'm going to check all that.
The main part is whats in the pictures and the walls on each side. So it's not too much especially if we redesign it then there wont be much framing. The other walls can be disabled, held up and replace the 2x4's.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:01 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Re: Lifting the wall to replace the bottom plate:

I'm thinking of using some large C clamps to clamp a 2X4 along the length of the wall.

Then rest short piece of 2X4 on that long 2X4 and clamp them tightly to the studs in the wall.

Now, use a pair of scizzor jacks to lift up a little on the 2X4 to lift the wall.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:38 PM  
yesitsconcrete

here's some more reading for you - probably the best layman explanation of wet bsmts & structure reinforcement.

Foundation Technology

Old 09-10-2009, 09:25 AM  
ghent96

How did you guys "suck out" all the pennies and nails and such from the traps? Perhaps we also need to do that at our house, due to probs in our basement and plumbing.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:42 PM  
thewaitinggame

i just used a shop vac to get down into the trap as best as I could. Most of our stuff was right straight down there. I guess we could have had more past the trap but I got what I could get to.

Quick Reply