DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Condo Renovation Gotchas

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 07:05 AM  
joecaption

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've never seen or heard of sealing a brick wall on the inside, no good reason to do so.
I agree with the dust thing, he should at least shop vac the bottoms of the stud bays when the wirings done to make it look better but behond that it will do no other good.
If he's putting in Fiberglass insulation batts then there is no "bad" insulation as long as he's not trying to suff in more then the bay will hold and compressing it.
Any time I have a customer that does not trust me and just let me do my job quaility suffers.
Is he licenced to do lead paint abatment? It now requires a special licence.
He should be using Hepa filters on his vacuums.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 06:56 AM  
joecaption

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Going with copper plumbing will gain you nothing and cost about 3 or 4 times as much in labor and materials. Most new homes are now plumbed with Pex tubing, fast to install, fewer joints (less chance for leaks) it expands instead of burting when it freezes.
It will cut the labor cost at least 50%.
Pex is not a "new thing" it's been out for many years with no problums. And no it's not the same thing as Quest. Completly differant product and materal.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:27 PM  
johnnymnemonic

Thanks Joe and sorry for the delayed response. I thought I'd get notified of each new post to my threads, but that is not the case.

Yes, the contractor is licensed to do lead paint abatement.
I don't know if he's using HEPA filters on his vacuums, and if I ask, won't I be the customer who doesn't trust him?

Copper vs PEX plumbing - apparently, the building department explicitly forbids the use of PEX tubing so the plumber went with copper.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:29 PM  
johnnymnemonic

About the dust, I just stumbled upon one of my older pictures, one I took underneath partially mounted sheetrock. It shows a dead rat.

Way back, without having seen this dead rat, I had asked the contractor to clean these areas. The contractor had said that this debris lies on the ceiling of the unit below, hence it's not for him to clean. Does this look right?

nov-13-2011-1-.jpg   nov-13-2011-2-.jpg   nov-13-2011-3-.jpg  

Quick Reply