I am converting a garage into a living space, and my contractor put a layer of roofing asphalt/cement as a vapor barrier on the entire floor and foundation wall. The garage is at grade level. It did not have any particular moisture or dampness problem, and I do no know if it had a vapor barrier on the outside of the concrete..
This stuff stinks so bad it made my eyes burn. The smell did not dissipate for several weeks. I put 2 coats of Killz primer on top, and that reduced the smell but I am worried the smell will come back in warm weather. I dont want to proceed with the project unless I am confident that the smell will not return.
Is this an acceptable material to use for a vapor barrier? is this a common practice? or is this 'sub standard' work? If it is not standard, does it need to be removed?
Any help/advice would be much appreciated!
This is the specific material he used:
APOC® 107 - Fibrex Col-Ply Cement