DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Contractor used roof asphalt in my garage conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 06:32 PM  
GBR

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just scrape off what you can, add some 6mil poly, add the joists, add some foamboard between the joists, tape all joints air tight including to the joists, add cavity insulation minus the FB thickness to reach at least code minimum; R-19; http://energycode.pnl.gov/EnergyCode...ate=California

Add this to your furniture/carpet, anything that will hold a smell, it really works; http://www.febreze.com/en-US/odor-re...ips/home-odors

Leave the gap in insulation cavity (if any) at the top for warmer floor.

Gary

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2014, 11:12 PM  
SFBayHouse

Thanks everyone.

I am working with a new contractor to figure out how to get this stuff off. Maybe scraping + pressure washing will be enough, rather than sand blasting.

I am guessing at the thickness, but probably like 20-30mils or so. It became mostly dry but still tacky after 2 weeks, and still stunk pretty bad. (eyes burning bad). it has been around 40-70F in the area since it was put on.

After the Kilz is on (two full coats), the smell is mostly gone. I had to walk around and find every little speck in the garage, and scrape up the residues that had been tracked in to the house to get the smell gone. Now it is just a subtle hint of tar smell in the garage.

We are going to add a sleeper floor and build up a living space with bed/bath/kitchenette on top it would be a real bummer if all that work got done and then the whole area smelled like hot tar in the summer.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:40 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 353 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Sounds like you are going in the right direction. By the sounds of it a little bit of all of the above will be the answer. I thought sandblasting also seemed to be more than needed.

Good luck would love seeing the rest of the project as you move along.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:18 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 459 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 146

It will come up easier when it is the coolest. The warmer it is the sofeter it will become. If you have a cool nite, leave the doors and windows open and get to it first thing in the morning. Once you get the top off there will still be residue on the concrete that will need to be cleaned or allowed to completely cure before it quits off gassing.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:41 PM  
SFBayHouse

Follow up:

We were able to get this stuff off, but it took some doing. Scraping turned out to be really slow and ineffective. We ended up pressure washing it first (which was still painfully slow, the nozzle had to be less than an inch from the concrete to be effective). Pressure washing removed most of the bulk but left a lot of residue. Then we used WD40 to dissolve the residue into a goo, and mopped and scrubbed the goo with scrub brushes. Then we pressure washed it again to clear the goo out. After that we resealed it with an epoxy coating to lock in any remaining residues in the pores. (we did the epoxy because after living with the horrible smell for a month, I was paranoid that it would not be fully eliminated)

Dirty, dirty job and took 2 full days for 600sf. ugh.

But at least it is done, and my project is back on track :-)

Thanks for the input!

Old 02-06-2014, 09:46 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 849 Times on 758 Posts
Likes Given: 1465

Thanks for the update, hopefully you have saved other from trying this stuff.

Quick Reply