DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Converting from OIL to gas, being pushed towards a 95% efficiency and Indirect water

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 06:18 PM  
drewdin

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 77

@Wuzzat i downloaded the data but I'm not sure what it tells me, i just see numbers increasing on the daily. How do i correlate this to heat usage/consumption. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 07:24 AM  
Wuzzat?

Liked 150 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewdin View Post
@Wuzzat i downloaded the data but I'm not sure what it tells me, i just see numbers increasing on the daily. How do i correlate this to heat usage/consumption. Thanks
The more degree days per year, the more fuel you will use.
With the price of oil killing you I guess you have a leaky house and/or a high fuel cost.

A leaky house like mine may use 11 BTUs per square foot per heating degree day and a tight house may use 2. Knowing your conditioned space square footage and knowing your HDDs you can figure how tight your house is.

With 11 BTUs and a 1000 sf house and 2000 HDDs yearly you'd be using 22,000,000 BTUs (220 Therms, 6400 kwh of elec., ~2000 kwh using a heat pump) of energy per year.
Depending on the Heat Value/Heat of Combustion for the fuel you use and the price of that fuel per gallon/lb/cubic foot you might be able to do better.
Your oil supplier may guarantee some minimum Heat Value for the fuel they sell you but there's no easy way to check this unless you can find a lab nearby that does this kind of testing.

With these numbers you can make tradeoffs between how much insulation to put in so it pays for itself within a few years, and fuel cost, and maybe considering some alternate fuel (electricity? wood?).

Depending on your sunlight
http://www.eventhorizonsolar.com/insolation-window.html
you may want to pipe water through a roof-top panel to help with the heating.

For wind power, figure on a 9' diameter propeller. How's that for an eyesore?

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 02-15-2014 at 08:03 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply