DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Cooling an attic - cheap + simple ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 10:08 PM  
Hegs

Default Cooling an attic - cheap + simple ?

Hi, great forum, just the place i needed considering my youthful LACK of home improvement skills!

My question is: I have been offered a smallish attic in a friends house as a place to stay for the next few months very cheaply. It is large enough to live in, with a single bed, desk + cupboard. The roof is triangular (ie both side walls slope in to meet in the middle of the room.) The roof is corrogated metal (at least from the inside this is what i see). My only problem with the space is that it gets VERY hot and stuffy in summer because the only place for air to escape is out the 2m hole in the floor where you enter the attic. Thus the hot air rises and has no place to escape other than down.

What I am wondering is whether there is a way to get airflow in the room without tampering with the roof/structure of the building. I was wondering if any portable appliances are aviablable which could, for example, suck air out of my room and replace it with the air in the hallway below the attic. Or any other suggestions are very welcome!

thanks for your help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2009, 11:59 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Besides using a roof paint to paint the presumably shingle roof white to reflect more of the Sun's light and energy (check out Cool Roof Rating Council)
or installing a ridge vent along the roof peak, I'm thinking your best bet might be to try to tie in to any air conditioning vents in that house with a "booster fan" to divert some of that cool air into the attic:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply