DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Corroding Fence... Dog issue...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 12:44 PM  
Junto

Default Corroding Fence... Dog issue...

OK... I'm looking for some suggestions for dealing with a corroding wrought iron fence, which is exclusively due to a 12 yr old cocker which my wife loves more than me. (Although I like the dog, and not having him around would free up considerable more room in the dog house for me, if he became missing, my wife would still consider me a prime suspect.)

I have taken this section of the (see pics) down to bare metal twice, treated it with "Ospho" to encapsulate the remaining rust, and have painted it with a glossy black oil-based enamel. The dog still wins the fight.

From the photo, you can see that there isn't a lot of metal left. I'm afraid that I'm going to have to cut out this section and corner post and weld in a replacement that I'm not confident I can find. If there were some sort of thin shrouding material I could apply, I'd like to try it. Would Bond-o work on something like this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Rick

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 03:49 PM  
nealtw

Liked 541 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

Square tubing is available, your not going to beat the rust, when it is set in concrete it should be hot dipped galvinized.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:18 PM  
DFBonnett

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Minwax makes a 2 part polyester filler. You could sand down as much as possible, pack the Minwax into the holes to fill the cavity as much as possible, sand smooth, prime the bad areas with Rustoleum Rusty Metal primer, then top coat with Rustoleum black in the gloss level of choice. I've done similar repairs in the past and you'll likely have to touch up every couple of years but the repair is solid. Welding in a new piece would be better, but is considerably more involved requiring more equipment and an additional skill set.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:51 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 277 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Electric fence...he'll get the idea sooner or later...

Old 10-31-2013, 11:21 PM  
CallMeVilla

Liked 267 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Your best bet is an electric collar with an in-ground wire that establishes the boundary. I have done this with a very stubbonr coon hound ... it worked the FIRST TIME. Best money I ever spent because the neighbors were fixing to put out a contract on the hound.

http://www.petco.com/product/12328/Innotek-Smart-Dog-Basic-In-Ground-Pet-Fencing-System.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductListTopRated_Dog_3-_-Innotek%20Smart%20Dog%20Basic%20In-Ground%20Pet%20Fencing%20System-12328

You bury the wire where you want them to stop. The wire traces back to the controller in the garage. With the collar on the dog, it will mildly shock the dog as it gets closer to the boundary ... and really lets him have it when he gets to the boundary.

Even stupid dogs like yours will get the message.

Unfortunately, there is no thermonuclear setting on the collar which could vaporize the dog you don't like.

Quick Reply