DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Could this get an occupancy permit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2007, 04:25 PM  
dakuda

Default Could this get an occupancy permit?

I know that things vary quite a bit based on are, and I also know it is dangerous for me to plan this far ahead. However, I have an idea I would like to float.

I am thinking about buying some land and in a few years (3-6) building a 40x60 or so steel building. As a temporary home, I would finish 20x40 of it as an apartment-style dwelling. Then, I would save and build the actual house, converting the apartment into a game-room style thingamabob once the house is complete.

Ignoring the inconveniences and nuances of living in a steel building and such, would any areas approve that situation for living if I followed code, had inspections, etc.?

Who should I ask around here? Just call the county building inspectors? I can pretty much guarantee that I would need to do this in an unincorporated area out here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2007, 09:32 AM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I knew a family that did exactly that.

First they constructed a barn and made it livable. Then lived in it while their house was being built. Now it's a barn and apartment for guests.

This was in CO but I'm sure it's the same all over. Don't see why not esp. if you live on several acres.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:42 AM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 36

The major keys will having the minimum heating, electrical, plumbing, water, sewer, access/egress and fire protection. You will probably have to cover the "garage" side of thewall/insulation with 5/8" drywall.

Trying to get variances because it is a temporary situation will be difficult, because the is no guarantee you will continue construction.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:51 AM  
dakuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmixer View Post
The major keys will having the minimum heating, electrical, plumbing, water, sewer, access/egress and fire protection. You will probably have to cover the "garage" side of thewall/insulation with 5/8" drywall.

Trying to get variances because it is a temporary situation will be difficult, because the is no guarantee you will continue construction.
These things I expect.

I just called the county to see if a permit can be issued on this. They said it sounds possible.

Last edited by dakuda; 08-13-2007 at 12:03 PM.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:26 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Default Think outside the box for a minute...

If you were to build a garage of that size...with a well and septic...you could park your new cheaper RV inside.Then get to work as you need.

It's been done.

Just My
Made in the

Quick Reply