DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Cutting into wall to create a 24" tall by 15' wide crawlspace.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 01:50 PM  
Chesnut9

Default Cutting into wall to create a 24" tall by 15' wide crawlspace.

Hi again.
So, i think that I found a way to add more space to my office. So there is a closet in my office, I took out the doors and use is a shelving. I kinda like the way it is now.... but I need more storage space. See below:

This seems a lot easier and faster than my other thread. I was wondering, can this work. I want to be able to support about 500-700 lbs. So, probably steal beams would be needed right?? Also, drywall, what is the best that should be used in this type of situation.
I want the "crawl space" to span the entire 15' wall, but should I have space between the "closet" and the "crawl space?"
Thnx!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2010, 09:47 PM  
nealtw

Liked 677 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 1200

the ceiling of the closet will not be structured to take the waite but if you restructure this, it should be fine. If you build divider walls in the closet area like every 4 ft or 5 ft build a 28" wall and build a floor with 2x4 or 2x6 across the top of these walls with plywood it should carry the waite. Don't forget to drywall the area again,this serves as firestop between offices. good luck

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply