DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   General Home Improvement Discussion (
-   -   Damage from burn ... a way to erase?? (

ku_alum 04-08-2008 06:45 PM

Damage from burn ... a way to erase??
We have pine cabinets in our kitchen (seem to be a combination of solid for doors and plywood for some parts of the casing). In February we sufferred an ice storm that left the area without electricity for almost 2 weeks. At one point during this darkness we used a camping lantern to make enough light to prepare a meal ... yes, we had the lantern inside, no, no lecture required. :) Anyway, the lantern was placed too close to one corner of our kitchen cabinets and after a few minutes we noticed that the corner of the casing and the corner of the door had turned black. The damage spans about 2 inches.

We are now trying to get our house ready to sell and this one corner of a cabinet is a true sore spot in the kitchen. We considered painting all of the cabinets in an effort to "undo" this burn damage, but the cabinets are in such good shape otherwise. This door is a different width than other doors, so putting it in a less conspicuous place is not an option.

I sanded the burned area and removed what seemed like almost all of the black, but upon applying stain the black came back, though not nearly as dark. But, it is still dark enough that the eye is drawn to it.

Is there any sort of product that would remove or cover the area? Much more sanding is going to change the shape of the corners. Any and all ideas welcome. Thank you!

Square Eye 04-08-2008 07:52 PM

If the burn were superficial, steel wool would be enough to scour the black away. Usually when you have that much heat though, the damage is below the surface and into the wood. Your best bet would be to try to clean it first, then get on the phone and find a replacement door. One door is far easier to match than trying to paint an entire set of cabinets. Take the door down and take it shopping with you. You may be able to match it at Lowe's or another comparable Improvement store. If not, some custom cabinet makers can match a door style. I have done this myself, bought the cutters and matched old doors but you have to do a LOT of them to make it worth it.

ToolGuy 04-09-2008 10:47 PM

Do you know the manufacturer of the cabinets? You may be able to order a replacement door.

Otherwise, I think your best bet is to take the door to a reputable cabinet maker or woodworker. They will be able to make a replica and even match the finish.

You'll never get that corner to not stick out like a sore thumb, and I seriously doubt you'll ever find a matching door at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc... unless that's where they were purchased in the first place and they still sell them.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:07 PM.