DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Damaged drywall (from wallpaper removal) repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 10:03 AM  
thereza

Default Damaged drywall (from wallpaper removal) repair

Hi-

I have this horrible wallpaper that I want removed from my bedroom. It's super thick (a fiber mesh pattern), and has been painted over. In trying to remove it, it pulls the paper off the drywall. However, not all of it, it leaves behind some brown paper the color of a grocery bag.

I contacted a contractor who says he's going to repair it but I wanted to get a second opinion about his plan. He intends to remove the rest of the wallpaper, remove all the outer white paper and expose the brown inner paper. Then apply an oil based primer to seal, and then joint compound to flatten, and then another coat of paint.

The thing that confuses me is that I figure the joint compound would go on first (skim coat) then the primer then paint.

In any case, this is beyond my area of expertise -- will the method work or should I be concerned.

Thanks,
Reza

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 10:53 AM  
JoeD

Liked 77 Times on 65 Posts

I also would have expected the skim coat before the paint.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:16 AM  
CallMeVilla

Liked 266 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Remove the wallpaper and if it messes up the drywall, so be it. No need to go crazy, just do it. Skim coat the wall with compound, touch sand to smooth, prime with quality sealer (1-2-3, or similar -- oil base not necessary) and paint. This is not a big deal and should not entail a lot of hassle. Best of luck.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:58 PM  
TileLindsey

I think skim coating is the best option for you if your drywall is damaged already. It will definitely smooth out the rough surfaces.. Good luck on yah.. The plan of the contractor you hire is just the right thing to do, I think..

Quick Reply