DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Deck appeal

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 07:14 AM  
4Clover

Oh wow, I actually forgot about this thread. I've been cleaning my parent's garage and going to fix it up so we have a nice storage place for materials to fix up the outside. And I really like the black iron look in the 3D picture thanks for taking the time to do that. My dad should be especially pleased to here that you guys like his deck. He doesn't get praise like that very often.

And for the coloring, I think that judging upon close inspection of the railings, the reason why the colors are different is I think the stain blotched. Also, I don't think he's ever given the deck a full sanding, might be time to do one of those. Get it back down to the wood and restain it.

I'm also curious as to where you would think an outdoor stove would be good to build. Later today or tomorrow I'll get you guys the dimensions and the overall shape of the deck Top Down view, because I think you guys might think the deck is bigger then it really is because I don't think we could fit a stone stove on their nicely, but we'll see.

Last edited by 4Clover; 04-18-2011 at 07:24 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2011, 01:48 PM  
MegaMagma39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump View Post
I was thinking of something along this line of thought.

Andy.
I like that idea much better than what I said! That is very VERY nice...

-~MegaMagma39~-
----------------
| [URL="http://licensecheck.com/"]License Check[/URL] |
----------------

Old 04-19-2011, 12:02 AM  
AndyGump
Drawer of Homes

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thank you Mega.

Andy.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:40 PM  
4Clover

Ok I read "pressure wash," but if i recall correctly pressure watching cedar wouldn't be a good idea, or do you have a recommended pressure that would clean cedar nicely?

And for the person that commented on the color of the sun area. I agree I like that color too. I think what happened is that my dad didn't take time when he re-stains to wipe away excess stain. The flooring ended up soaking in large patches, and over the years of the same re-staining technique ended up morphing in color of the floor. Where as since the sides are vertical gave the stain a place to "run down" and not soak in. ^.^

I have an idea to add more design to the deck, I'll have to use a program and show you guys an example. What program did you use for the iron railings picture? The reason why I REALLY want to add to it is because the house has new siding, new roofing, fairly new windows, new front door, new sliding door. (everything is within 5 years of eachother) So the house itself looks really nice and fresh, but the landscape isn't very appealing and the deck looks really basic for the rest of the house that just looks so nice. And don't get me started on the front door patio and driveway. (YIKES!)

With lots of people getting fire-pits and Michigan being cold whenever the heck it wants to. I'd like to have something like that where i can sit outside at night and still be warm. ^.^

Last edited by 4Clover; 04-20-2011 at 11:56 AM.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:33 PM  
AndyGump
Drawer of Homes

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use Chief Architect software.

Andy.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:56 AM  
4Clover

Cool thanks, I measured the deck and drew up a layout. The angles aren't right because I didn't measure those and the lengths should be fairly close to being exact. I don't really know why I did this, but I did. lol

deck-layout.jpg  

Old 04-21-2011, 04:30 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 840 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Maybe I'm just old fashion but I would take great pride in how well the deck was built. A little paint would make it look great, and as was suggested pay down the morgage instead. But thats just me, there's to much good lumber going to waste already.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:24 AM  
4Clover

Mortgage is already paid. ^.^

Old 07-30-2011, 08:27 AM  
cindygiggs

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Clover View Post
Hello again. With wanting to remodel the garage and fancy up the landscape, there's still one thing that will look kinda depressing and that is the deck. Now I'm quite creative but this one has me stumped. I can't even imagine in my head what would make the deck look more appealing. I seriously need your help on this one. Much appreciated as always.

For all I know you all might think it looks good.
You should consider some deck lights. See below my deck at night!
deck-lighting2.jpg  

[URL="http://deck-lighting.net"]deck lighting[/URL] tips and ideas for an oustanding deck!!!

Old 08-29-2011, 06:19 PM  
eheart

On the tops of the hand railings I would install composit decking, with screws coming in from below it of screws made just for compoit lumber from above. These screws have a small head on them so you install them just below the surface and tap the area with a hammer just enough to compress the fibes back into the hole to cover up the screws, then rub a wire brush over that area, the screws should all but disapper.
What this will do is cover up the flat 2 X 4's that always cup, split and just plain look nasty.
I'd also use composit deck skirting on the outsides of the outside rim joist to cover up the exposed pressure treated wood. Your going to need a 12" slidding compound saw to make one long smooth cut because there 11 1/2" wide.
I'd get rid of those huge boulders, and install vinyl lattice under the deck. Your going to have to come up with a way to support it at the bottom. We stain pressure treated 2 X 4's black and use a Kreg tool to make angle holes and install the 2's flat so you do not see them as much. These 2's should be about 4" off the ground so they do not rot.

Quick Reply