DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Determining a load bearing wall

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2008, 07:31 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thats what this forum is all about "helping people" and that asking about something is the best way to go. Gladd we could help

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 06:01 AM  
jet1952

I had a car port and I closed it in. I took down the outside wall and left a small portion that was a exterior door way. I decided removed the wall (sheet rock ) from existing door way . There is a frame wood for the door way , there are two 2x4,posts back to back from floor to ceiling then an additional 2x4 that is part of the door frame.The original wall ran north to south the rafters in my attic run east to west. The peak of my roof is directly under the under the spot wherethe pole is located. Sorry I am a woman trying to do repairs and this is the best I know how to explain . Is this a load bearing support. Or can I remove it.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:29 AM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 391 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Hey Jet ... you are asking a smart question. It would really help if you could post some pictures but your "word picture" is very helpful.

If that wall framing is open for you to see, that "post" probbaly goes from the floor to the peak of the roof. It IS a supporting member. That does not mean it cannot be resupported in a different manner. However, just removing it outright is NOT the thing to do without more input from professionals in this forum.

Patience.

Send pics and we can help you in the process. OK? In the meantime, here is a graphic that explains the terms for framing. It will help you explain your situation better.

wall.jpg  
Old 11-12-2013, 08:09 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

Jet, there is no need to apologize for being a woman doing home repairs. We all had to start somewhere, learning how to do things without the place falling down around us. With some decent instructions on sites like this, a few good references, and perseverance, you'll eventually be able to do a typical job as good as, if not better than, most men.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:26 PM  
Snoonyb

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you have a basement with a center support beam and this wall occurs above above that beam, either parallel or perpendicular with the floor joists, it could be load bearing.

If your house is single story, in the attic, if the ceiling joists continue over it, end over it, are spliced over it, or you have roof bracing landing on it, It's a bearing wall. If the ceiling joist are parallel with the wall and you have roof bracing landing on it, It's a bearing wall.

If there is a 2nd floor above the wall, you have two options. You can remove a section of ceiling on both sides of the wall to determine if the 2nd floor, floor joists, cross it or end over it. If so, Its load bearing. Or you can use a stud finder to determine the location and direction of the joists.

Here is a link that should be of assistance;
http://www.awc.org/pdf/WCD1-300.pdf

Illigitimas non-carborundum

nealtw Likes This 
Old 03-22-2014, 06:36 PM  
C51089

I have had 4 contractors, 2 said yes, 2 said no, if this is a load bearing wall!! Our living room, dining roomis a vaulted ceiling!!!
The wall I want down is between the dining room and the kitchen and hallway!!! They both have pass thrus!!! It's the cornersI want taken down so it will be a open counter!!!It is a one story dwelling!!!
Can I cut the corners???

Last edited by C51089; 03-22-2014 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Additional sentence.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:50 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 459 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by C51089 View Post
I have had 4 contractors, 2 said yes, 2 said no, if this is a load bearing wall!! Our living room, dining roomis a vaulted ceiling!!!
The wall I want down is between the dining room and the kitchen and hallway!!! They both have pass thrus!!! It's the cornersI want taken down so it will be a open counter!!!
Really have to say I have no clue what you want to do. If you have a question, it's best to start a new thread and not piggy back on an existing thread, it gets confusing. Post pics and be a little more specific about your particle situation. And, if you are modifying structure, getting the opinion of contractors, in my opinion, is probably not your best course of action. Contact a structural engineer and get their opinion about what is and what is not load bearing.

Oh yeah, to House Repair Talk!
Old 03-22-2014, 06:58 PM  
Snoonyb

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Off hand I would say that it is bering, however. a single line drawing ID'ing the rooms and the slope of the vault would be helpful.

Illigitimas non-carborundum

Quick Reply