DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Do or Don't

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 08:36 AM  
turbo

Default Do or Don't

I have a window in the bathroom that I have gutted
and I want to put a shower stall in but the window is in the way
If I take the window out
The problem is that the outside of the house has steel siding on it
and can not find any to match

SO

Can I just cover up the window with sheetrock and from the outside
it will look ok or what

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2010, 09:43 PM  
AllProPlumber

Default Don't Do

I wouldn't recommend that you just cover the window. Over time dirt and dust will collect in the window and you will be able to see it from the outside and that isn't good. I would suggest putting in a fiberglass shower pan and installing tile on the walls so that you still have a useable window.

The other problem with covering the window is that you won't have any way to vent the bathroom, unless you have an exaust fan. Because you have moisture and heat in the bathroom you need a way to get air circulation so that mold doesn't grow.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:16 AM  
donrobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllProPlumber View Post
I wouldn't recommend that you just cover the window. Over time dirt and dust will collect in the window and you will be able to see it from the outside and that isn't good. I would suggest putting in a fiberglass shower pan and installing tile on the walls so that you still have a useable window.

The other problem with covering the window is that you won't have any way to vent the bathroom, unless you have an exaust fan. Because you have moisture and heat in the bathroom you need a way to get air circulation so that mold doesn't grow.
I agree with you. You should cover the window. But I don't agree with putting an exhaust fan there. That just my opinion.
Anyone can fix it, or anyone can give other suggestion?

Old 01-17-2010, 07:04 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 82 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Default well

No I would not cover the window, remove it and install some decorative siding on the outside, better to live with that than have the trouble you will start by covering it over. You will end up with condensation build up and water draining into the wall.
YES, you need an exaust fan to the exterior if you have a shower or tub...not only will it get rid of the moisture in the room, but also the odors that can build up.

Just My
Made in the

Old 01-17-2010, 10:54 PM  
frozenstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
No I would not cover the window, remove it and install some decorative siding on the outside, better to live with that than have the trouble you will start by covering it over. You will end up with condensation build up and water draining into the wall.
YES, you need an exaust fan to the exterior if you have a shower or tub...not only will it get rid of the moisture in the room, but also the odors that can build up.
Well I guess this is perfect.. And exhaust fan I guess should really be installed.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:44 PM  
lightingking

Yes, definitely go with the exhaust fan. I had a client once with the exact same dilemma and he also put in the fan in place of the window.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:45 PM  
JustHatched

I would like to add that a room without a window, can be deadly in a fire situation. My niece was killed in the bathroom when the furnace blew up, the explosion didn't kill her but she was unable to escape the bathroom since there was no window.

A pet bird owners discussion forum, plus discussions for all other animals. [url]http://www.myprettrybirdforums.com[/url]

Quick Reply