DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Does the type of air filter you use make a difference?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 09:00 PM  
zacht

Default Does the type of air filter you use make a difference?

I'm currently using some honeywell filters hvac filters, but I usually pick up whatever crosses my eyes first at Lowe's. I personally have never noticed a difference when I get a different filter, but I have never really paid close attention either. Is there known benefits to using certain brands/types of filters over others? I need size 20x25x4 if that makes any difference to anyone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 08:50 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 100 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I typically use a pleated filter with the lowest micron rating to help eliminate dust & pollen. Other filters that don't catch as much dust will tend to recirculate the dust through out the home. It also lets dust pass that will eventually, clog the evaporator coils on your A/C system.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:11 PM  
newtimer1

Default newtimer1

I had an HVAC inspection and the fellow told me never to use these filters, they are harder on the Furnace/AC?

Old 10-16-2011, 07:19 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 102 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Default ok

Welcome aboard....the advice you got was worth as much as the cheap filters.
The added filtration does nothing to the blower motor on a unit. Ductwork which gets installed like an octopus on drugs does more damage.
Always go with the pleated filters for better air filtration, keep your ductwork clean and sealed, and get a new company to inspect it.

Just My
Made in the

Old 10-16-2011, 07:00 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
Welcome aboard....the advice you got was worth as much as the cheap filters.
The added filtration does nothing to the blower motor on a unit. Ductwork which gets installed like an octopus on drugs does more damage.
Always go with the pleated filters for better air filtration, keep your ductwork clean and sealed, and get a new company to inspect it.
You guys are not reading the post close, so you are talking about two different
things. The first post is talking about a 4" thick filter, and yes it could restrict the air flow enough to effect the ac.
I think the later post is talking about a pleated filter versus a flat cheap filter.
The pleated filter will give you twice as much filter surface as a flat 1" filter.
Twice as mush filter surface will move air through half as fast and do a much better job. If you are going to use cheep 1" filters make sure you are not moving more than 300 CFM of air through 1 SQ foot of filter. Also air filters are suppose to have a oil coating on them and they are sometimes dry when you buy them. Find a place to buy a product called filter coat. It is a oil spray made for air filters. Coat you filters good before you install them. Paul

Quick Reply