DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Dryer vent

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 01:23 PM  
Mtowner

Default Dryer vent

My dryer vent dischare is right beside my AC Unit. I can't move the AC and the dryer is against an outside wall and the only other direction I can run it is into the garage. Is my only alterntive to run a a pipe from the existing vent exiting my house to get the discaharge lint away form the AC coils? I'm reallytrying not to run a 4 inche pipe on the outside of the house to get the lint away from the AC, but what else can I do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 09:26 PM  
profenx

They do sell indoor vent filters. I've seen them in lowes and home depot. If you don't mind the venting indoors, this will trap the lint. You'l have to clean it regularly though. You mean the vent is right next to the ac unit that is outside the house? Can't you turn the vent so it faces away from the ac? My dryer vent can rotate to have it blow down the ground, to the left or right, or upwards. It's venting from a sidewall though.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:11 AM  
havasu
on permanent vacation
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 87 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Be cautious about the vent filters. If you forget to clean the filter, it could result in a fire. I would rather reroute the vent to another wall and punch thru it. It will be a bit more work, but will be safer. Also, stay away from the plastic vent hose as they also contribute to house fires as well.

Also, I once moved the air unit, and it was not that big of a job. You should have an air conditioning expert come over and let him give you his opinion on the cheaper option.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:23 AM  
Mtowner

I think I will try to extend the vent discharge farthur away form the AC unit. The pipe may not look the best on the outside of the house, but I may be able to hide it with some scrubs
Thanks everyone for your help

Old 10-11-2010, 02:01 PM  
handyguys

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

Yeah, just extend it another foot or two, that may be enough that it wont collect on the coils. If it does, just hose it off.

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

Old 10-11-2010, 11:13 PM  
profenx

Yeah, you should clean the coils before you use the AC every summer coil cleaner and a hose does the job well. Isn't this on the side of the house or away from where people would see it? Can't be that bad to raise the vent.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:34 AM  
Albert_23

A washer and dryer are now two of the most important home appliances. If you have got dryer vent, then you also need to make sure you have cleaned it properly time to time because cleaning vent is important. I guess you have to maintain your dryer vent to not encounter this kind of problem again.

Window [URL="http://www.cwproducts.com.au/Roller-Shutters.aspx?pid=7"]Roller Shutters[/URL] for a Secure Home

Quick Reply