DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Is this expectable in the trade?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2006, 09:42 AM  
do it your self

Default The big picture

I agree that the backsplash and cutouts may seem trivial and if that was our only concern, we'd let it slide, although we were planning on using the cut-out material. Were not trying to be petty, but that’s certainly the way there trying to make us feel. Two big companies are trying to blow off the little guy. >>>(_!_), and it doesn't feel good!
Thanks for your in put!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2006, 08:12 PM  
Aceinstaller

as my post states. the one exception for shoddy work at a retail price only comes from a retail store. you are not the first victim of these retailers that hire sub-contractors. This "installer" as you call him is a sub-contractor. as such he is required to carry a liability insurance policy that covers problems like this.

1. Call a lawyer.

2. have a seperate contractor properly repair and install a quality countertop.(which will leave you very little downtime in your kitchen because he can take his measurements with your existing countertop installed and rapair/relace all necessary materials in one day.)

3. Have your lawyer file a claim with the "installers" insurance company to cover the costs of repair/replacement and maybe........?pain and suffering?

sounds like you have a good case to me!

If you choose not to call an attorney, then live with what they offer and peace be with you.

Old 03-18-2006, 07:30 PM  
james b

let us know how you make out with this situation .i am sure that we are all hoping the best for you and getting this matter corrected.

Old 04-01-2006, 11:26 PM  
Aceinstaller

so,

do it yourself,

what ended up happening?

inquiring minds would like to know.........

Ace

Old 04-15-2006, 10:17 PM  
Aceinstaller

hello hello hello.............

anyone there?

Old 04-16-2006, 03:44 AM  
asbestos
Good with caulk

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Oh, yeah sounds like a HD fiasco.

Old 04-25-2006, 08:15 PM  
milehigh_woodcrafter

I read all of the posts, but I don't recall seeing the ctop material. Anyway describe "warped". If indeed it is twisted or even out of level, it's not to industry standard. On top of the bbb, find out the manufacturer of the ctop material (plastic laminate or solid surface) and call them as well. For most big name solid surface, contractors have to be certified, the p-lam guys may be interested as well. Make sure to throw their name aroud.

I can't emphasize this enough. If you're asking if you're being too picky, first ask yourself this. Was it in the original agreement? If it was, under no circumstance should you accept the job. Tell them to shove the (wrong) backsplash up their rear-ends! The big box stores and their subs give you the run-around, but tell them to kick sand. It's a technique they've developed.

A real craftsman wouldn't consider taking your money until they were sure that you were happy. I may be old school, but those are my firm beliefs. I always make sure the homeowner is happy before I think about closing out an invoice. I care about my customers, they send me work. This poo-head has a big box sending him work, why should he care about his customers?

long story short, you paid someone to do something they didn't do. that should answer all of your questions.

If you wanna hang with me bring a rope.

Quick Reply