DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Fiberglass from attic pushed into house through light fixtures

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 08:26 AM  
jaws51

Default Fiberglass from attic pushed into house through light fixtures

My house is contaminated by fiberglass. A new roof was installed (shingles only) and the two old attic vents were replaced. Fiberglass is everywhere in my home. I've had the attic A/C ductwork and unit insprected twice, and each tech found no breach which would allow fiberglass to blow through the house. The globe fixtures have fiberglass inside them.

Please explain what I have been told: Negative pressure in the house forced the blown-in insulation from the attic into the house through the light fixtures.

Thanks

jaws51

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 09:24 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 109 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 64

A professional should be along shortly to help you w/more accurate info. but, it is my understanding that attic ventilation needs to be balanced between the soffits and the gable or rooftop vents to create positive ventilation. In other words, in through the soffit vents and out through the rooftop vents. If this balance does not exist, your creating a no flow or negative pressure flow. Check to see if you have insulation blocking the soffit vents as this will cause a problem. The pros will let you know what ratio of soffit/rooftop openings you need to create and maintain a positive flow.
I feel for ya man, I hate fiberglass insulation w/a passion especially if it gets in your eyes.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:31 AM  
jaws51

Thanks. The fiberglass in my house is in my furniture, my clothes, my bed, my light fixtures, in my shower, in my tub, on my stovetop, etc. It's everywhere except the attic ductwork of my A/C.

Quick Reply