DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Finishing My Basement

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008, 05:33 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 94 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Default Keep chuggin

Looks like it will be a nice place to hang out when it's done...for different reasons.

Just My
Made in the

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2008, 07:26 PM  
hondadrv24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Last edited by hondadrv24; 08-17-2008 at 02:55 PM. Reason: they got rid of the idot that spammed the thread

Old 08-17-2008, 02:56 PM  
hondadrv24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well I got the ceiling done a couple of days or maybe a week ago, so I'm ready to start wiring it up i think, its at least time to put the new can lights up and make them usable because it got darker with the new ceiling under the old lights . More pictures and updates to come soon hopefully
Justin

Old 08-20-2008, 01:20 PM  
contour

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadrv24 View Post
How do I do a radon test? never even considered it.
Here is some information on radon: Ignorance is Not Bliss - Is Radon Slowly Killing You?
... and here some on how to mitigate the radon problem: Installing a Fan-Based Radon Mitigation System

I think this is definitely a thing you should check for and solve if there is a need. Health is the first condition to enjoy your new finished basement.

Cheers

Old 10-21-2008, 08:51 PM  
hondadrv24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default ductwork

Can anyone tell me how to determine how many ducts I need for my main room in the basement. the room is 24x24. I've looked online but so far have not been able to find anything by which to calculate this.
Thanks
Justin

Old 01-24-2009, 11:56 AM  
hondadrv24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Inspections passed

Wow, its been forever since I've posted to this thread. I finally got my electrical, plumbing, and building inspections done and passed. I had to redo my plumbing because I didn't use the correct glue when going between the ABS and the PVC, even though the Oatey multi or general purpose says it works on both it apparently wasn't up to code. So I went and bought some new pieces and the aqua colored glue for abs to pvc and re-did it. I also had to install a vent pipe for the sink that was closer to the actual location. apparently code states no further than 3.5' from the sink. after that plumbing was good.

electrical told me I had to have all pigtails made up in the boxes for the rough-in and that I needed to have hardwired smoke detectors in the bedroom and outside it that were connected with the ones on the main floor. Not too big a problem because I already had a detector down there that was Naturally in the wrong spot above my tub. All of that is now done and insulation is partly up. Sheetrock is on the agenda for Tomorrow finally.
I'll get some more pictures tonight when i finish the insulating and clean up the mess from wiring etc.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:03 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 94 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Default Yea

Where have you been? We started to wonder if you gave up on that basement.
Glad to hear your passin the tests. Can't wait for the finished product...then what?

Just My
Made in the

Old 01-25-2009, 04:33 PM  
mluciano

wonderful basement, can't wait to see the final product.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:18 PM  
hondadrv24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well InspectorD, most of my lack of being here has to do with this small problem.

I should have listened to my wife when she told me not to set the laptop down on the armrest as I went to put Bella back down to bed.

But I have also been slow at working down there with my daughter taking up much of my time (she's just too precious not to spend time with her at this age). Last weekend we got almost all of the sheetrock up. here is a pic of the main room.

The bathroom plan changed slightly from the original. We put in a big soaking tub instead of the shower and opted for a pedestal sink instead of the cabinet.

nowhere near complete but i have the bathroom functional for my wife because she is planning on a home birth and wants to use the tub.
from a construction point of view I'm glad that I opted to install the sink now because i need to take it and the rock off of the wall and put a 2x4 behind where the sink secures itself.
all in all its coming slow but its coming.

Last edited by hondadrv24; 02-01-2009 at 08:20 PM. Reason: pictures were messed up

Old 02-01-2009, 08:21 PM  
hondadrv24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quick Reply